Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 09-06-2003 , 07:57 PM

Maya and firewall?

I just installed a firewall and when I told Maya to batch render I get three messages from my firewall program. First was "Maya.exe is trying to access the internet. Do you allow it?" and I clicked Yes. Then "Do you allow Maya.exe to act as a server?" I clicked yes and then "Maya Batch is trying to access the internet, Do you allow it?" and I clicked Yes. My question is: Why is Maya trying to access the internet? I'm getting the creepy feeling that when I render, all my files are being sent to A|W for review user added image user added image user added image

# 2 09-06-2003 , 08:39 PM
Subscriber
I don't know why it's doing that, but Maya does not need to do anything on the internet to render. Try clicking no each time.

# 3 09-06-2003 , 08:58 PM
Subscriber
I had the same problem a long time ago - using ZoneAlarm.

I had to click yes to make it work.

It might just be the way the maya-programs communicate... ?

Kühl
# 4 09-06-2003 , 09:18 PM
The Maya Mountain
probably has to do with the networking card.

# 5 09-06-2003 , 09:27 PM
From what I understand, Maya's licensing setup is TCP/IP-based (someone correct me if I'm wrong). When you do a batch render, Maya is essentially setting itself up as a render server and will check for a valid license. It checks the license via TCP/IP which ZoneAlarm (or any firewall/security program) interprets as network access. ZoneAlarm will also sense network activity if you are using a floating license, which is normally hosted on a server -- even if that "server" is your local machine.

So, basically, there's nothing wrong. The firewall is doing what it is supposed to be doing, as is Maya. You can either click "yes" each time or simply turn of the firewall whenever you do batch renders.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 09-06-2003 , 11:36 PM
What if i'm simply not connected to the internet? Can I not batch render then? What if I click no on Zone Alarm?

# 7 10-06-2003 , 02:11 AM
If you're not connected to the internet, turn off the firewall. I'm not sure what would happen if you clicked "no" on ZoneAlarm -- I don't use any firewall software. Try it and see what happens.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 8 10-06-2003 , 04:18 PM
I'd be pissed if they dont let me batch render if I'm not connected to the internet.

# 9 10-06-2003 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber
No, you can batch render without being hooked up to the internet because I do. My Windows ME computer was my first computer, so I had AOL set up on it. After I bought Maya, I realized I needed Windows 2000 Pro, so I bought a second computer specifically for it. I have never been asked those questions you're being asked, though. I just batch render and boom, it goes to work.

# 10 10-06-2003 , 04:25 PM
don't worry, I didn't have my internet access in my new apartment until last night, and b4 I got dsl i could render (Batch) fine without being online. GL
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 11 10-06-2003 , 09:42 PM
its just accessing your ports.. nothing rare, alot of 3d programs do it because of network rendering .etc i have same prob, its annoying, if i dont have my firewall open maya open then closes straight away... but its not a problem, quite a few programs use a hub to render .. lightwave even uses a hub to run.

FX supervisor - double negative