Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 15-07-2003 , 09:56 PM

Total Newbie to Maya

......and so happy I found this site user added image Just started learning Maya on sunday...... loving it so far! I have a few questions im hoping someone can answer. user added image
Ok Im following the tutorials that came with Maya, figured its the best way to start to learn this... currently Im doing the hand.
Im really gettin into it. I seem to like the Subd and poly better than the nurbs. Oh by the way Im using Maya 4.5 Complete
Ok now the questions.

1. Subd seems better than nurbs.. is this true?

2. Is there a complete list of short cut keys/hotkeys for Maya I can print out?

3. Is there a hotkey for ExtrudeFace?

4. While working on the hand, sometimes I find it easier to deselect the whole hand so its just grey, then I can see the contours better. The only way I have found to do this is to either right click>Select... then click somewhere outside the selected hand so the selection goes off...... or to go preferrences and turn wire frames off. Is there a simpler way to do this? A hotkey? (Like in photoshop you hit CTRL H.)

5. Also, while working on the hand, Ive refined some areas on the index finger, to the point that I have up to detail level 4 when I work with the vertixes(sp?) is this ok? What are the benefits and disadvantages of that?

Thank You, Harvezter

P.S Ive attached what I have accomplished so far in hopes that some of you pros could critique my progress user added image Please be gentle lol As I have said Ive only been using Maya for 2 days.

Last edited by Harvezter; 15-07-2003 at 10:00 PM.
# 2 15-07-2003 , 09:58 PM
ok it didnt attach, let me try this again lol

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 15-07-2003 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
1. It depends on which modelling type you prefer and what youre modelling.

2. & 3. Goto window > setting/preferences > hotkeys. Here you can see the hotkeys assigned and set your own hotkeys. Also for extrude face.

Press "list all" and "save to file" for printing.

4. Use F8-F12 to change between selection modes. In vertex mode pressing F8 twise will get you to normal "body" selection (using sub-d).

Kühl

Last edited by Kühl; 15-07-2003 at 10:20 PM.
# 4 15-07-2003 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
BTW... welcome to simply maya and nice start for the hand !

Kühl
# 5 15-07-2003 , 10:15 PM
Oh wow! I can set my own hot keys? Thats too cool! user added image
Thank you for responding and thank you for kind words on my hand user added image I can only hope to do a fraction of the stuff I see posted on here one day user added image
Im so hooked on Maya already its amazing! My girlfriend has sent out search and rescue parties for me cuz Ive been glued to this desk lol

# 6 15-07-2003 , 10:19 PM
Subscriber
hehe... sorry... cant help ya with question 5. Maybe somebody else can. Hope you have seen that I edited my former post (look up)...

Kühl
# 7 16-07-2003 , 03:16 AM

Help please

Hoping someone can help me out here user added image
Im still working on the hand from the tutorial in Maya. I decided not to move forward into the other tutorials because Im having fun and I figure it may make me more familiar with the tools I know so far user added image This a good idea or should I move on?
Ok now for my real question user added image
The tutorial had me create the hand by starting with a poly, splitting faces, converting to subd then extruding faces. I notice now, that extruding the fingers made a wierd "wrinkle" in between the fingers. A very unatural looking webbing. Ive been messing around with it for an hour now and am getting kinda lost on how to smooth out the webbing between the fingers so it looks more natural. Ive been selected vertices and moving them, pretty much one at a time. Ive tried to do a few at a time and sometimes the results seem ok but most often not. Whats the best way to smooth out the webbing between the fingers. Im including a few pix so you can see what Im dealing with. Wasnt sure of which was best way to dsiplay what I mean so I have included 3 images. Please help, Im going bonkers lol user added image

Attached Images
# 8 16-07-2003 , 03:17 AM

2nd view

is there a way to put more than 1 pic on a post?

Attached Images
# 9 16-07-2003 , 03:18 AM

3rd pic

If there is a way to put more than 1 pic on a post sorry I dont know how user added image

Attached Images