Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 21-12-2003 , 05:24 AM

wireframe render

Hi,
this might be a dumb question, but ummm.... is there a way to render the wireframe of an object? Maybe with a setting in Maya, or with a shader or something.
Idealy I want to render the wireframe with the colors of the material being applied to that surface. But I'm happy with just rendering the wireframe in gray or whatever other color.
Thanks.

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 2 21-12-2003 , 05:29 AM
The Maya Mountain
Will taking a screenshot not work? You can always mess with it in photoshop to get whatever colors you want.

Otherwise, there are shaders you can download. Try highend3d.com.

# 3 21-12-2003 , 09:59 AM
Well, yeah, I could take a snapshot, I was just wondering if I could render it that way instead because I think it would be easier. I mean, because the rendered images look smoother than what I see on the GUI, also there is the issue of the color (by that I also mean things like shadows, and also, I only want to render the wireframe and not the grid and other elements. I know I know, I can just hide those other elements, but still...

Well, I'll take that to mean that I can't just check a checkbox in the settings and make that happen :p (I guess checkboxed can't solve all problems in life). So I'll search that site for a shader. Do you know one in particular that u've tried maybe?

Well, thanks.

PS: do you sit there all day waiting for things to answer? :p I mean, because you were pretty quick, and at this time of the night... (ummm, I guess you are in a different time zone)

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

# 4 21-12-2003 , 10:33 AM
Subscriber
vector render in 5.0
i think...user added image

# 5 21-12-2003 , 11:00 AM
ok, i couldn't find anything in highend3D.com, but after searching the web I found this tutorial:

https://www.jozvex.com/tutorials/wireframe.html

I kinda does what I was looking for (kinda, but not exactly, but I'm happy with it anyway). Well, I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like what I want. I'll try it out right now.

(also, in response to vladimirjp, I'm using 4.5, so I have no idea of what that vector render is)

# 6 21-12-2003 , 11:29 AM
ok, so I tried it, and it's not su much that this tutorial is useful by itself (I don't really care about hiding the back of the wireframe), I found it useful for one reason! You see, I didn't know that you could "Hardware Render" with Maya. I thought all the hardware rendering Maya ever did was inside the panes while you work.
I like this "hardware rendering" :thumbsup:.