Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-12-2003 , 02:59 PM

Max Import/Plugin

Hey Again Everyone,

I found some great models on the web and was trying to import them into Maya and at first wasn't able to. I installed the Bonus Tools and moved all the .mll files to the plug-in directory. I was then able to import .3ds files, but not MAX/LWS files. Am I missing a plug in or is there some other way to import these into Maya.

Merry X-Mas everyone!!!

Chris, Baltimore

# 2 24-12-2003 , 07:29 PM
The 3DS Import plugin is only for .3ds files, not .max and .lws. The only way I know of to import those files directly (mostly) is using Deep Exploration (https://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/index.htm). If you have access to either of those programs, you can always export to 3ds first and then import to Maya. Or you can use a free plugin to export to FBX (https://www.kaydara.com) and then import that into Maya.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 29-12-2003 , 01:42 PM
Thanks Danny...Just a quick question...What plug in do I download on the KADARA site?

Chris

# 4 29-12-2003 , 03:59 PM
Subscriber

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 5 02-01-2004 , 03:11 PM
Hey,

I think I am still confused. I downloaded the plug-in and while I can import .3ds files, I cannot import .MAX files. What is the exact name of the plug-in/program that I need.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

# 6 02-01-2004 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber