Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 01-11-2007 , 03:08 AM
It was about 18 months ago, when the first intel powered macs came out.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 30-11-2007 , 04:23 AM
Jr.Who
After a couple of months of testing it out here's what I'd like to see fixed (hopefully some of these will happen in 10.5.2):

Optimization/Performance:

Cover Flow can be slow sometimes and it happens to take up a lot of RAM if you look at a ton of files. It also makes Time Machine run very slow.

Ever since Safari 3 came out, it seems to take up a lot of RAM. A quick restart of Safari will fix this, but sometimes I leave windows open and I don't want to restart it.

Bugs:

Stacks can really be annoying at times (especially if you have dock magnification on). When you click on a fan Stack (say, Downloads) and you have magnification on, when you move your mouse up to click on one, the entire Stack shifts over.

RSS feeds sometimes just stop working in Mail. It won't show you any indication of this and it took me a while to figure it out. Most of my RSS feeds will have something new within an hour, so if I look at them and don't see anything, I manually update them, and it says that there's a problem with the site. You'd think that you could just restart Mail, but no, you have to restart the computer. This does get kinda annoying, as I hate restarting my computer, but it helps a little by giving me more free RAM.

I could just repair my permissions, through Disk Utility, to free up some RAM, but there's something wrong with DU since the update. I don't know what's wrong with it, but it used to take a couple of minutes, now it takes over 10!

Enhancements/Requests:

Right now the bottom half of Cover Flow is in List View. Ever since Columns View came out, I never used List View, as Columns View is a much easier was to navigate through files. Cover Flow plus Columns would be pure awesomeness.

I do like all the new features, and I don't regret upgrading, but I just can't wait for Leopard to be as stable as late-Tiger was.

Right now, I can only think of one app that is a bit buggy. That app is DragThing, which screws Spaces up.

# 18 30-11-2007 , 04:26 AM
Sounds like most things, good mixed with a few irritating bits.

Do you have to pay for the upgrade to leopard?

# 19 30-11-2007 , 05:17 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Do you have to pay for the upgrade to leopard?

Yep, and it's only $130 (there aren't several different versions like home, business, ultimate, etc.). Here's Leopard in the Apple store:
https://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...&nplm=MB021Z/A

# 20 30-11-2007 , 08:00 PM
Whats that is it like 5 upgrades in 5 years? and you have to pay for them, ouch, OS via subscription, what happnes if you dont want to upgrade does all the new stuff work on the older versions?

Also whats the difference between the home and Office licence? Sounds a bit like home/business under a different guise?

# 21 30-11-2007 , 10:51 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Whats that is it like 5 upgrades in 5 years? and you have to pay for them, ouch, OS via subscription, what happnes if you dont want to upgrade does all the new stuff work on the older versions?

Also whats the difference between the home and Office licence? Sounds a bit like home/business under a different guise?

I think it was 5 in 6 years. user added image Ouch? I don't think so. This isn't something we're made to do, it's something we want to do. I think that Apple said a couple months back that 90% of their customers are using the latest OS.

Right now, most (probably 99%) software that runs on Leopard will run on Tiger.

Like I said, there's no Home or Office version. Here's a great line from Steve Jobs to explain it for you (this isn't the exact quote, so bare with me):

"So, these are the packages that Leopard's going to come in (this is when I raised my eyebrow).

We're going to have the Home version. $130

We're going to have the Small Business version...... $130 (this is when people started laughing)

We're going to have the Enterprise Business version. $130

And we're going to have the Ultimate version, which has everything you're going to need. At $130 (at this point all the people were cheering like crazy)

We think people will go for the Ultimate version."

Oh, here's one more bug:

After using Time Machine (I don't know if this is just using Time Machine or doing certain things in TM), it resets my Exposé and Dashboard hot keys and mouse buttons to nothing.

# 22 09-02-2008 , 06:03 PM
Jr.Who
10.5.2 came out today! SO much faster! My Dock feels more fluent, Stacks open faster, Cover Flow is swifter, etc. The entire system feels like it's been refreshed!

Still a couple of bugs though. If I go into my Fonts>Favorites, the application I opened it with crashes, Stacks still move around when you move your mouse off the Dock, some little visual bugs, etc. (these aren't new ones, so I'm used to them by now). Also, there's still no AirPort Time Machine capabilities, but I heard that they're working on it.

Perhaps in 10.5.3?

BTW, here's a video of what I was talking about in my previous post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RsOIdF_DdY