Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 16-03-2012 , 10:35 PM
ps.

i'm not mapping the car paint to the fluid, i'm trying to reflect the fluid effect in objects using the carpaint shader, just to clear that up a little!

# 17 16-03-2012 , 10:51 PM
The Nurb Herd
hey man, i wasn't really saying set it at 0, just that 0 is no max distance.

anyway, yeah i wouldn't use AE, but effectively cobbling stuff together is comping. user added image
if you want to go down that road, you could try something called mip_matteshadow that i think has a reflection catcher thing on the shader.
use the command "createNode mip_matteshadow" unless its been added into mental ray now.
otherwise its hard to tell what you are actually asking tbh. you said the reflection is not fully there? it kind of looks fine in your screen shots. i'm not sure.

never used the car paint shader i don't think.
i'll have a look if i get a minute, but you could get the same effect with a mia_material_x. i think if you took away the flakes then you just like the Fresnel effect witch is easily achievable.

Last edited by honestdom; 16-03-2012 at 10:54 PM.
# 18 16-03-2012 , 11:07 PM
To put it simply the problem im having is that fluids going out of the camera view are not reflected in the car paint shader. In the two images, one shows the entire fluid in shot along with its reflection, the other shows exatly the same fluid, however the fluid goes out of view, and if you look closely at its reflection, theres only a fraction of the fluid rendered compared to the original image. Roughly the same amount that is in the camera view before reflection.

My aim is to reflect the fluids wether they are in the cameras line of sight or not. Make sense? Ill have a look at mia_material_x and see if thats any better, cheers!

Let me know if you come up with anything else though!

# 19 17-03-2012 , 10:53 AM
mia_material_x works beautifully, however, there appears to be no way to remove what i understand as the specular highlight. any ideas there? i'm so close!