Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-04-2008 , 02:39 PM

how to edit whole group. CV, hull,...

hello,

this is my situation: i extruded a nurbs square curve through a curved path. The result is a tube, consisting of four surfaces. When I click the tube, only one surface of the tube is selected.

This is what I want to get: when i click the tube I want the four surfaces ( = the whole tube) to be selected, so i can edit CV and hull of the whole tube at once.

How do I do this?

Would help me enormously in an architectural design consisting of hundreds of tubes user added image

Thanks!!!

Ken

# 2 02-04-2008 , 03:34 PM
Subscriber
you are going to have to use poly's mate. When you create a nurbs cube/cylinder/cone all of the different square sides are separate surfaces. So a cube would have 6 detachable surfaces, a cylinder has 3 - the 2 caps and the cylinder tube - and a cone 2.
As you extruded your cube along the path you can also do with a poly.
BUT if you want to stick with nurbs use a nurbs square and extrude it the length of the path. Then you will have a 4 sided wire, no end caps but you can create those with a planar of the square.

Does that help?

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 3 02-04-2008 , 04:12 PM
ok tanx.

your explanation already helped me understand my problem

BUT I extruded already hundreds of times. Is there no way to make the 4 surfaces of the nurbs tube, to 1 poly tube???? convert them in a way? Group them in a special way?

Would save me a lot of time... otherwise, I'll have to start over with the tubes as poly...

... tanx!
Ken

# 4 02-04-2008 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber
here is a solution

Worked for me as you can see.
Keep in mind when you do attach surface you can only do 2 surfaces at a time, so you have to attach side 1 and 2, then it becomes surface one, then attach side 3, then it becomes surface 1, then attach side 4.
Cool?

Attached Thumbnails

Arch Viz Reel

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 5 03-04-2008 , 01:04 AM
ok, this worked in a test I did...

but to simplify my proces, it would help me very much to convert my 4 nurbs surfaces (that I got from extruding a nurbs square following a path, so it's in fact a closed tube) to a editable polygon.

I looked on the internet. It seems the conversion from nurbs to polygon is possible through conversion via SUBd's. So nurbs->subd->polygon.

1) Anyone know how to do this in detail?

2) AND: is it really not possible to choose a grouped set of surfaces in outliner, then choose control vertex mode, so that ALL CV's OF SURFACES are shown at once? Is it really not possible to group nurbs and edit the group at once? maybe through parenting?

Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate the help...

Ken

# 6 03-04-2008 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber
well you can skip subD and go nurbs-Poly. I didn't try that to see if it'd work in keeping it as a whole object and not separate pieces but that can be done by Modify --- Convert --- Nurbs to Poly.
There are all kinds of settings in there that you could mess around with when converting to try and get a specific output.
group selection even from outliner will not allow you to mass edit the cvs or verticies of a set of objects as they are not all together. Grouping is simply a means for cleaning up and organizing the heierarchy.

As far as i have been made aware anyways...

-Cheers
-Alexander

Arch Viz Reel