Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-10-2002 , 03:11 PM

Low Poly

If I have an object, and I want to view it as smoothed, but want to work on it as it was before I smoothed it, how do I go about it?

# 2 14-10-2002 , 03:26 PM
i think you can go to the bar and the right hand side. find smoothed object on the list. click. it look for subdivisions and knock it down to zero.

# 3 14-10-2002 , 03:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
I usually smooth it... check it out, and then undo the smooth. If you don't want to undo the smooth, you can decrease the smooth divisions to 0 and it will revert back to normal. However, I've found that sometimes, if you add geometry and then increase the divisions back to 1, it doesn't always work well.

# 4 14-10-2002 , 03:43 PM
Hmm, this is kinda hard to explain, but what I'm trying to be able to do is to have a smoothed version, that I can work with in real time, as though it were not smoothed. I know you can do this in 3DS by using the stack. I was wondering if Maya has a similar feature.

# 5 14-10-2002 , 03:45 PM
The Maya Mountain
Sounds like Sub-Ds with poly proxy mode

# 6 14-10-2002 , 05:14 PM
...or the connect poly shape mel script if you don't have maya unlimited (4.0) (do a search @ www.highend3d.com). maya 4.5 has a function called Smooth Proxy for polygons.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 7 14-10-2002 , 05:38 PM
Ahh yeah the proxy mode was exactly what I was looking for.
user added image
Thanks everyone.