Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-05-2006 , 01:17 PM

star wars walker

I made this from a tutorial. Its my first fully completed and rig model.
Any advice or comments welcome

Attached Thumbnails

Food 4 Thought: Does the universe end and if it does, whats behind the universe?

Last edited by bcrichplayer; 13-05-2006 at 02:58 PM.
# 2 13-05-2006 , 04:21 PM
wow, i did that tutorial too, it came out ok, but this model rocks! ever gonna texture it?
user added image
andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 13-05-2006 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber
looks really good! i agree, you should texture it...and put an ewok under the foot! user added image

# 4 13-05-2006 , 10:32 PM
I remember doing that tutorial last year. It looks very good bcrichplayer. some ewoks would be cool or maybe chewbacca popping out of the top like in the movie.

# 5 14-05-2006 , 04:03 AM
actually, that walker doesn't show up in any of the movies - its technically from the EU. I don't know that Chewie ever gets to see one, either (end most definitely ewoks don't....)

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 6 14-05-2006 , 05:48 AM
I'll probably end up texturing it later. I know the basics of setting up the UV and taking a snapshot and then workink on it in photoshop but i'll have to get around to learning more.

Working on the cartoon dog tutorial at the moment. I dont know if its just me but the way the dog is modeled seems like a long way of modeling. I wouldn't want to model something complex that way.

Food 4 Thought: Does the universe end and if it does, whats behind the universe?
# 7 15-05-2006 , 12:23 PM
Subscriber
looks good i like it ..where is this tutorial ? ewoks ..that would be nice to model ..small hairy furball lol

well the cartoon dog .. my first model and i gave up on it lol but good luck ...someday I will go back and get the dog

# 8 15-05-2006 , 01:55 PM
The tutorial is at highend3d.com. U can google maya star wars walker tutorial if u cant find it on the site.

My cartoon dog tutorial is going reasonbly well. Im up to the part were u connect the parts together after making them polys but trying to get all four sided polys is way to hard. After merging the vertices its like putting together a puzzle.:headbang:

modelling an ewok and putting it under it foot isn't a bad idea. Might get around to doing that.
Those litte guys are so cool.
Modelling it and putting fur on it would be a challenge.user added image

Last edited by bcrichplayer; 15-05-2006 at 01:58 PM.
# 9 15-05-2006 , 04:52 PM
Subscriber
thanks ..post your work on dog ..would love to see it .. you got further than i did ..I got to head lmao

# 10 16-05-2006 , 12:43 PM
my cartoon dog is in the WIP section now.

Thanks everyone for the props. Hoping to get good enough to start modeling characters like Wolverine from x-men adn make whole animations. Just takes time and patience.

# 11 19-05-2006 , 12:39 PM

Dog Tut

I just finished watching the dog video and started modeling a rabbit by following the steps. I'm new to this, It took me 3 days to get it to work the way it was taught. The head would not boolean to the body so I had to go about it like he attached the one leg.

There are some rough areas I can't get to come out smooth and I'm looking for some input. Maybe the nurbs modeling didn't have enough isoparms or they were spaced out too far, I don't know.

I'll take any advise to make it better.

Being a novice, is it better to have one piece of geometry when modeling with the intention of animating?

Mark

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 19-05-2006 , 01:12 PM
Subscriber
lol, i like the rabbit! looks really good user added image

# 13 20-05-2006 , 09:56 AM
I reasonably new to maya aswell, but things are going great. I would have to see more images of it not smoothed out to get an idea of where u may have gone wrong. If u have mirrored the surface try going into Edit polygon>normals>soften/harden. When u mirrored it make sure u merged both the vertices together.

As for animation i still lack in that department although i have made a couple of walk cycles with this walker model. With this model it geometric so it was easier to animate. I just parented parts of the leg to the skeleton i created.
For organic modeling i would say the whole body would need to be combined and then if the eyes if r seperate, you can leave them by themselves.
Start ur own thread in the WIP area for feedback or ask some questions in the appropriate forums. Other more experienced people should be able to help u.

Good Luckuser added image