Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-02-2007 , 06:32 PM

strange fur problem

I am building a little island and putting grass on it using maya fur, however the fur is well, a little odd. The island is just the top cut off a sphere, mutilated and stretched a bit, with a couple of extrudes to provide the rim. Then I add a brownian texture to it for the mud, and then the grass. Now I click on the whole island when I add the grass but then it ends up distributed really stupidly. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-02-2007 , 10:15 PM
there's a kid posting in the vfx section with a similar problem, but he's using paint effects instead... he describes all his grass getting pushed into a corner as well. he, similarly, has also applied a texture to the object first. for curiosity's sake i'd also like to know what the solution is, cause it seems pretty intriguing... sorry i can't answer the question though.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 08-02-2007 , 04:16 AM
strangely when I remove the extruded edges, it appears fine...

# 4 08-02-2007 , 04:42 AM
Heve you UV mapped the geo for the floor, I think that Paint effects/fur/hair etc need to have alid out uv's or you will get overlapping and strange results

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 08-02-2007 , 05:35 AM
that got it, thanks user added image