Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 12-10-2011 , 10:24 AM

UV per faces (polygon) ?

Hello,

i need UV large mesh which has polygons in square shape, all same size and shape (imagine block land or minecraft terrain), i need one polygon (quadpoly) = UV square i was doing this by plane Y/X/Z projection doing one-by-one face after face but its only solution for small part not for 4000 polygon terrain chunk.

so i wanted ask if i can somehow speed up this type of UV mapping (automated solution/script?) because i didnt see any option in maya for this. (or i missed that option?)

THX for help

# 2 12-10-2011 , 06:27 PM
The thin red line
Look in polygon menu at the top creaye UVs, auto mapping..........dave

# 3 12-10-2011 , 07:16 PM

Look in polygon menu at the top creaye UVs, auto mapping..........dave

i was playing with auto mapping settings but i was unable create this UV:

user added image

(this is what i need but some faster way than "by hand polygon after polygon" planar (X/Z/Y) mapping)

Last edited by XXX1; 12-10-2011 at 07:19 PM.
# 4 12-10-2011 , 07:31 PM
The thin red line
You are selecting the whole object then press auto map.........dave

# 5 12-10-2011 , 07:38 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
You wont get that single uv with that object. The best way to lay it out quick is as DaveRave suggested with Automatic mapping. Though the outcome wont be tidy its a start. Failing that try and get hold of roadkill or use mayas bonustools, that has some nice uv mapper tools in there

J

# 6 12-10-2011 , 09:18 PM
Senior Software Developer
In my experience, UV Mapping is a slow and painful process and should be done in slow time. Rush it and mistakes will happen.

If you are UV Mapping a standard cube then use the cube mapping option. I can't remember it's name but it's in the same options as cylindrical mapping etc...

---
I am here: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.899132,-3.530678
R@nSiD (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 12-10-2011 , 10:08 PM
EduSciVis-er
I'm a little confused by why you want one face to fill up the entire 0-1 space of the UVs. Can you give a screenshot example of how you would want 4-5 cubes laid out?

# 8 13-10-2011 , 08:07 AM
long reply deleted....

CGtalk forum solution: Unitize UVs in UV texture editor

Last edited by XXX1; 13-10-2011 at 08:23 AM.
# 9 13-10-2011 , 05:27 PM
Senior Software Developer
XXX1,

Now I see your model I can see what you are trying to do. I would suggest that you create a single cube texture that then reference that cube as many times as you need it thne place the referenced cubes into the right place. Each reference would then be a duplicate of the original cube and take on the properties of the parent. Making everything easy and as they are reference objects little to no overhead in file size or render times

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)