Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 18-12-2004 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber

Templated polygon turns into a wireframe

I'm following a tutorial at the moment that requires me to work on just one side of a model, and duplicate the other side as an instance. The tutorial then tells me to right click on the new, instanced side and select "Actions > Template". Supposedly, this shouldn't change how the polygon is viewed, but no matter what I've tried I can't get it to appear smooth shaded like everything else.

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me where I've gone wrong.

# 2 18-12-2004 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
well, I'm still fairly new at maya, but if I'm understanding your problem correctly, you need to select the poly half that isn't smooth, and go Edit Polygons>>normals>>Soften/Harden>>option box

Select all soft, and click OK. voila!

# 3 20-12-2004 , 02:25 AM
Subscriber
Hmm, perhaps I wasn't very clear. The duplicated and templated half isnt shaded at all in any of the perspective views - it just appears as a grey wireframe even when I select 'Smooth/Flat shade all'. It's not really that great a deal as it turns out, I've just continued with the tutorial without templating one side. I'd still like to know how its done though, because it would make things a bit easier.

# 4 20-12-2004 , 05:40 AM
Subscriber
You could add it to a layer and then make it a reference...