Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 23-05-2003 , 07:22 PM
I agree, and btw, MY g/f sorta screamed at that shot as well!

..it was SO funnyuser added image

I thought I would start noticing all these fake cars running around ... I didn´t. Felt pretty real if you ask me.

Felt GREAT to me as well.

I think we, as artists, and VERY detail oriented people, will take what we are given esspecially a STILL frame, and nit-pick every pixel to death, NOT taking into account that in reality, that frame goes by at 1/24th of a second!

So I almost feel bad knowing I critiqued the trailer frame-by-frame, and didn't take true-speed into account.

Shame on me... slap.... bad Izzy..... slap.... bad Izzy's panties...

hehe....

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 47 23-05-2003 , 08:33 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by M
One other thing thats on my mind.. in the agent smith scene someone keeps telling me it was plainly obvious that the whole thing was CG, but half the scenes looked like it was actually agent smith and neo fighting.. with stunt doubles with their heads away from the camera. So the question is.. i realise that neo swaps from 3d to real at time to time..but are you trying to say that all of the agents are CG?! I couldnt see that being possible user added image.

i wondered myself what is possible to do in film, and what is easier to do in cg in that scene. it most probably might have some real shots in it. when a new horde of smiths came - it looked real good. but with more and more smiths - the chance they switched to cg might be more and more possible. mistakes in the ai might not be as noticeable the more ppl are there and distract your focus from mistakes away. to me the big big fights in lord of the rings look awefully real for having a lot of cg in it. there is software that can handle couple ten thousand characters - which would be impossible to animate individually - only problem with that is that the software itself is unaffordable :p

# 48 25-05-2003 , 04:56 AM
Holly F*@#ing Poop. There is a lot to read and analyze here.

I just saw the movie Today and it was awesome.

I read the first few Posts and was bafled by the complexity of evryone's thoughts. I didn't get to read many posts because there are alot, long, and deep. But being an SM member I tended to look at a lot of the Graphics. Constantly trying to figure out what was real and what was CG. I don't Know if this has been a main point being explored in this thread, I haven't read much of it.

My mind is very simple: COOL or BORING. And it was "COOL." I was too lost to even think of where to start analyzing. I just stared in amazement.

- Matt
# 49 25-05-2003 , 01:34 PM
In all reality I think it was pretty easy to tell what was real and what was CG. A good indication, to me actually, was a lot of the camara moves would be almost impossible to do in reality. Thus, CG is probably the way some things were shot. Maybe composited some folks in for good measure.

Now if you look at Attack of the Clones, then that's an entirely different story. ILM blew me away with numerous shots I thought were real. Like the scene with Mace Windu and Yoda, sitting in a room with blinds shadowed over them. All completely CG, except Mace Windu. Truly awesome!

# 50 27-05-2003 , 12:51 AM
I have been a huge fan of The Matrix since the first movie, but I wasn't as thrilled with Reloaded as I wanted to be. I know that I was pretty pumped up by the whole car chase scene, but the rest of the movie I didn't really care for (did I just say that?).

I think a lot of it had to do with, although I was following the plot well, I felt like we jumped around from location to location and it made it hard to follow where we were or why we were at that place. I also wasn't too thrilled with the sex scenes. I want to see fighting for our lives as Zion members, not Neo's ass as he's making out. And that Zion orgy and the woman with the cake just weren't needed.

I too noticed that the cg shots were pretty easy to distinguish from the real ones, and I agree with Wchamlet that it was mostly because of the cg camera movements. The transition from real Neo to cg Neo was flawless, though.

I guess all in all the special effects just didn't pull it for me. I liked them, but I think my hopes were a little too high for it. I'm not trying to bash the movie - I definitely want to go see it again - but I felt it could have been so much more.

Side note - Why is it that Neo is no longer the fastest person in the Matrix? Given the way the first movie ended, he should be able to flash his hands around faster than any Agent can. Those fights, even if they were "upgraded' Agents, should have been over in seconds with his speed. Why'd he slow down?

# 51 27-05-2003 , 01:27 AM

Originally posted by LordPhobos
I think a lot of it had to do with, although I was following the plot well, I felt like we jumped around from location to location and it made it hard to follow where we were or why we were at that place. I also wasn't too thrilled with the sex scenes. I want to see fighting for our lives as Zion members, not Neo's ass as he's making out. And that Zion orgy and the woman with the cake just weren't needed.

Paradoxically, the best acting in the movie took place precisely in the Zion scenes. I thought the little schred of humanity the actors had, showed through in those scenes. -Take Link for example-
As per the sex scene, I don´t understand what´s the big deal about it. Do they have to f*ck in the matrix too? Believe me mate, Zion is all about sex, since -quite curious enough- the human animal is all about sex. I guess the reaction on that scene really does depend on your view on sex.

I for instance liked watching a bit the actors WITHOUT the sunglasses. And if that came with tits included, well then, I got a better deal than I bargained for. user added image

I too noticed that the cg shots were pretty easy to distinguish from the real ones, and I agree with Wchamlet that it was mostly because of the cg camera movements. The transition from real Neo to cg Neo was flawless, though.

I think the thing about CG vfx in this one has to do with the fact that most scenes were resolved on the computer rather than mounting up the hundred-cameras-rig the used for each bullet-time in the first one. Recorded action is always better than cg, since after all reality tops out fiction.
The way I see it, this movie had almost three times more required VFX shots than the first one, and you do have a budget after all. At some point you have to start making decisions, and I´m sure that if more money -or time- would have been given, VFX would have looked even more polished. On a last pledge, I don´t know if the team that made The last Flight off the Osiris worked on this one, but I do think they could have made a better work out of some scenes. Particularly Neo´s CG closeups.

Side note - Why is it that Neo is no longer the fastest person in the Matrix? Given the way the first movie ended, he should be able to flash his hands around faster than any Agent can. Those fights, even if they were "upgraded' Agents, should have been over in seconds with his speed. Why'd he slow down?

Because quite simply put, not everyone has our eyes. user added image
You do have to see the action after all, if it did have gone your way Matrix would be called Dragon Ball Z. The whole movie would have had to be shot bullet-time.

Lol, by the way, did you guys notice Morpheus and the Twin´s cooperation trying to shoot the agent out of the car. I thought it was a nice touch. After all, he´s marked for deletion too.

Last edited by adldesigner; 27-05-2003 at 01:34 AM.
# 52 27-05-2003 , 06:03 AM
Yes I noticed that when I went and saw it again tonight. To my disapointment, nothing realy big popped out in the second viewing, but mabey that is because I understood it so well the first time. GOD that movie rocks! I also got another look at the distruction of the setinals in the end of the movie. There was nothing coming out of Neo's hand like i thought, but rather just the destruction of the setinals. I still dont see however, why Neo fainted.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 53 27-05-2003 , 12:49 PM
Maybe Neo fainted because it caused his real connection to the Matrix Network to Reload? Maybe that's why the whole movie was called reloaded? Who knows!

And I agree with LordPhobos, the sex/dance scene was inappropriate. Especially considering they used Christian concepts such as Zion and the called their meeting a "prayer". IMO, they shouldn't have done that. It's disturbing to see my beliefs used as such a whimsical filler. That part of the movie was the weakest, and most disappointing to me. I see where adldesigner is coming from to a point. Humans don't act like animals IMO though. I've never seen any animal have sex just to have sex. They only do so to copulate, which we don't. But we do have desires and such. My main beef with Zion was I was expecting to see an advanced society, right by mind and body. That's how they built it up in the first movie. They called it Zion. Heaven. But what it actually is seems more like Soddum and Gomorah, IMO. Nothing at all like I perceive Heaven. They way they designed it though proves one thing. Zion was still a prison, just as much as the Matrix.

All of this is my opinion of course, your mileage may vary! user added image

# 54 27-05-2003 , 01:26 PM
Kevin

# 55 27-05-2003 , 07:56 PM
Saw the film to day...user added image

My theory on the next movie.....

....Neo is lieing in bed with Trinity and he here's a beeping sound in his mind. He suddenly wakes up in his bed to the sound of his beeping alarm clock....it was all a dream.....Mr. Anderson goes goes to work!

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 56 27-05-2003 , 09:24 PM
me and another guy at work were also thinking that that was how the third one was going to end. Neo would wake up, and thats it. user added image

Please check
My (old) website!
# 57 27-05-2003 , 10:32 PM
HAHA. Humans dont act like animals... WE ARE ANIMALS! Lol. I think the danceing was a way make the sex between Neo and tinity more sexual, with out you actualy SEEING it.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 58 27-05-2003 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by wchamlet
And I agree with LordPhobos, the sex/dance scene was inappropriate. Especially considering they used Christian concepts such as Zion and the called their meeting a "prayer". IMO, they shouldn't have done that. It's disturbing to see my beliefs used as such a whimsical filler. That part of the movie was the weakest, and most disappointing to me.

i would have liked if they used less christian stuff in the movie. it was completely unappropriate to cripple a nice movie with christian stuff, imo. but morpheus at least is borrowed from greek mythology.

I see where adldesigner is coming from to a point. Humans don't act like animals IMO though. I've never seen any animal have sex just to have sex. They only do so to copulate, which we don't. But we do have desires and such.

not all animals use sex only for corpulation purposes. dolphins have sex for the orgasm. many monkeys have sex just for the heck of it.

My main beef with Zion was I was expecting to see an advanced society, right by mind and body. That's how they built it up in the first movie. They called it Zion. Heaven. But what it actually is seems more like Soddum and Gomorah, IMO. Nothing at all like I perceive Heaven. They way they designed it though proves one thing. Zion was still a prison, just as much as the Matrix.

they really built it up as heaven in the first movie? i disgree. they build it as the last and only escape point. the only chance you have must be perfect? what did you expect? harp playing angels? i liked soddom and gomorra in the bible for the real cool special effects user added image - the difference between you and me might be that i dont fear hell. i dont fear hell because i do not believe in hell, thus hell does not exist for me. nor does heaven. heaven does not exist for me either, as i dont believe in it. and please dont get me wrong - i tolerate and accept that people believe in some kind of religion. what i do not tolerate though is, if someone tries to convince me against my will that i should believe in his or her religion as well.

All of this is my opinion of course, your mileage may vary! user added image

mine varys some

# 59 27-05-2003 , 10:58 PM
Ultragames, I don't want to argue with you about Humans/everything else, but my point was Humans don't act like animals. I recognize we are animals, but that wasn't my point. The only thing that truly stands out as being somewhat close to animals is the fact that we are alive. Other than that, we are (talking socially and behaviour) completely alien to just about any animal on the planet. When was the last time you saw a dog put on a suit and go to work? Been awhile hasn't it?

I also don't follow how you couldn't see Trinity and Neo doing there thing? Did they not show Neo's butt where you live? Just kidding! LOL They showed plenty enough to get the point across without having to show numerous girls in see through shirts dry humping in an orgy filled dance. All my opinion of course.

# 60 27-05-2003 , 11:27 PM
Sorry. I just REALY hate when people fly in liek Super-Religeon-Boy! And turn everything into some spin on religeon. Yes, there are some connections to the bible. And as a gerneral coment, I dont think that the matirx is heaven, or anything like that.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!