Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-08-2003 , 01:59 AM
Location: lost... and I'm NOT asking directions!! (psst... could you tell me where I am?)

a few lighting questions...

Hey guys! I've got a couple of newbie questions for you.

I created a (space) ship, and I intend to animate the camera flying through the ship as it passes (or the ship flying through the camera, however you look at it)

I have spent a great deal of time adding lighting to the hallways and other areas. I am happy with how the halls look, but I go down one level (to the room beneath) and everything is all bright! you can't see a thing! Go down one more level and it looks like the surface of the sun!!!

Okay, I know what's happening. All those spot lights that I used in the light fixtures in the hallways on the top floor keep going, and spreading into eachother as they go down the the bottom floor. (runon sentence there)

How would I go about making this area light-proof?

A couple things of interest which may be contributing to the problem:

1. the entire interrior is one large object. (including every floor)

2. There are lots of spot lights pointing strait down, which I assume are the culprits. (light fixutres everywhere)

3. I did use a lightning effect in the engine room. (a nice reactor core there) could this be it?

Although the hallways (where the lights themselves are) are dimly lit, the bottom floor is kind of horrendous. No lights have been added there yet.

I can attach pics if you need, just need to render some. (a process which takes forever and a half)

Second question: Why does it disable my undo que every time I select a light? I am constantly going back into the preferences to enable "undo," and it's isn't pretty when I need it and it's disabled. It's done this to me at least a dozen times. (or at least that's the number of times I found myself wishing it wasn't doing this)

if it matters I'm using maya5

Thanks!

Me and THIS army!
# 2 20-08-2003 , 04:38 AM
Select all your lights for just the hall you want to light up... then select the rest of the ship but don't select that specific hallway that you want to get lit up and go into the rendering menu and goto Lights > Break Light Links.... That should do the trick.user added image

# 3 20-08-2003 , 04:58 AM
Good reply DDaudio19!

I was going to suggest Light Linking myself, but you beat me to ituser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 20-08-2003 , 05:16 AM
Vampus
errr, I may be mistaken, but doesn't...

"1. the entire interrior is one large object. (including every floor)"

...suggest that he has combined the whole thing, thus he will be unable to just select one hallway?

# 5 20-08-2003 , 05:25 AM
Well if thats the case. He can just select all the faces for that hallway and seperate them. But thats if he did it in Polys. Then just select all his lights and the rest of the ship and break the light links for it.

# 6 20-08-2003 , 02:45 PM
Location: lost... and I'm NOT asking directions!! (psst... could you tell me where I am?)
Yes, it is one large object, and yes they are polys. I'll just separate them. Thanks for your help! I'll try this as soon as I get home from work user added image

Me and THIS army!