Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-07-2015 , 12:54 PM

IK Breaking Rigid Bind Skin?

I am creating a character who's arms and legs are rigid. I have attempted to make this effect using a smooth bind but it doesn't work perfectly; it's close but not 100% correct.

Anyways, it is a setup where there are 3 joints, the shoulder, elbow and "hand" (not exactly a hand but it is where the arm ends) and the elbow bends -90° and has been limited to bend no more than that. I then painted the joint's weights by going to Edit Deformers->Paint Cluster Weights Tool and painted the weights to look like this:

I then created a blend shape for each arm where the front middle edge goes up exactly 2 units and the back middle edge goes down exactly 2 units. The blend-shape looks like this:

Afterwards I set up a driven-key where when the elbow joint bend on the X-axis is 0° the blend shape is at 0 and when the elbow joint bend on the X axis is at -90° the blend shape is at 1.000. This will give me the desired result:

I then lock the elbow joints rotate Y and Z attributes, hit insert and move is back a very small amount for the IK to work and everything is perfect... until I actually add IK which messes everything up. I can't really explain what it does so here is a video (gif):

I definitely think it has something to do with painting the cluster weights because I used the same method with the legs (only I didn't paint any cluster weights) and it worked perfect. The reason I had to paint the cluster weights on the arms is because the shoulder joint isn't at the top of the mesh (unlike the legs) because it needs to rotate from a certain point and not the top.
Can anybody help fix my problem? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tomundrwd; 05-06-2016 at 03:40 PM.