Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-10-2014 , 06:47 PM

Motion Vector Remder Pass

Hi,

Thanks in advance for reading this.

I am having great difficulty with rendering motion vector passes inside of Maya for use in NukeX. I have a helicopter that is flying overhead and I am trying to add motion blur to it and the rotors. It seems that this should be easy enough to do but I am struggling with getting any of the 3 types of motion vector passes that MentalRay has to offer to work.

When I render out a mv2dtoxik
 pass and plug it into the VectorBlur node in nuke it appears to not blur at all. There seems to be no data in the pass either as when I view the channels they are completely black. I am rendering everything out as 4x32bit float EXRs.

I have also tried using the mv2dnormalized pass and this renders out a grey and yellow image as expected. However when I plug this into the VectorBlur node in Nuke it blurs all of the image equally and seems to not give any directional motion blur. The means that the helicopter body and rotors are both blurred the same amount, which is unrealistic seeing as the rotors are moviing much faster.

I seem to have ttried everything but still can't get this supposedly simple process to work. Could someone please give me some tips on how to get this working or maybe point me in the direction of a good tutorial?

Thanks user added image

# 2 13-10-2014 , 07:11 PM
The thin red line
Have you turned on motion blur on in the feather tap of the render settings..............dave

# 3 20-10-2014 , 09:54 AM
I have managed to get this working by turning on the "Force Motion Vector Calculations" which is located in the Options tab in the render settings window. This works with the motion vector pass as long as the framebuffer is set to 32bit float.

Hope this helps anyone else having the same issue!