Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 17-10-2003 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber

Rendering prep for post composite

I'm trying to render some text graphics which need to have an alpha channel applied to the scene so that I can composite the "flying text" over existing footage in After Effects or Premiere.

I would like to render the files in Maya as Targas. I noticed in the Window / Rendering Editors / Hardware Render Buffer / Render Attributes / Image Output Files, a section called Alpha Source. It is currently on Hardware Alpha. Is this what I need for it to give me a Alpha channel?

Thanks.

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown
# 2 17-10-2003 , 01:46 PM
As far as I know, you just have to have Alpha Channel (mask) ticked in Render Globals.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 17-10-2003 , 01:52 PM
The Maya Mountain
you'd also need to make sure the file format you choose as your output is capable of holding an alpha channel. I usually use Targa.

# 4 17-10-2003 , 01:52 PM
I figured he had that already setup in Render Globals. user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 17-10-2003 , 05:08 PM
Hardware render buffer is only used if you want to render particles. Luminance option is best used for alpha instead of hardware alpha.
In your case since you only have animated text all you have to do is as mentioned above.Make sure the alpha is ticked in render globals.As a precaution also go into your primary camera attributes and make sure output settings>RGB and Mask are ticked on....Depth...if you want to output the zdepth along with it.

# 6 17-10-2003 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber
Great, thanks guys. I'll get cracking.

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown