Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 22-10-2006 , 06:52 PM

trouble upon attatching the ears

I had to go back a bit so that i could attach the ears but now i am receiving this message when ever i try to convert or subdivide...
// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): The conversion to a subdivision surface failed:
// This polygon contains an interior vertex connected by less than 3 edges.
// To fix the problem, either remove the edge with the interior vertex, or subdivide the polygon so that the interior vertex has at least 3 edges.
// The indices of the vertices in question are: 800. //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //
while i ussume that merge edge or vert or even delete vert would solve my problem ... is there an easy way to find the offending geometry or do i just have to scoure the model (please no)

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 22-10-2006 , 10:04 PM
I've not messed with poly to subdiv and back but would assume that something along the lines of 'clean up geometry' might help. I've never used it but remember someone saying that it can often clean up some of the messy bits. If not then it might be hunt the vertice or unconnected edge time user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 18 23-10-2006 , 03:50 AM

ouch!

yeh i already tryed the Poly>Cleanup I even tryed to "Quadrangl--ate" ... oh welll looks like theres nothing for it, i got a few hours of tedium ahead

# 19 23-10-2006 , 04:15 AM
Have a look at the offending polygon, think you can by doing the clean up (with the non manifold geometry on), then go to show (in the panel) show selected, you should see it then...

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 20 23-10-2006 , 04:59 AM

thanks

gster123 unfortunately I have to wait about 8 hrs before i can have ago at it but will try it tonight ... oh I hope so as the tought of the alternatives does not excite me

user added image

# 21 23-10-2006 , 05:03 AM
No probs man, If you cant sort it hope you have it saved prior to attaching the ear?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 22 23-10-2006 , 07:23 AM

acid 44 reply

Im not sure if its just the agle ... the render seems to do that some times but i will have a look .... i do see what you meen tho' Thanks

# 23 23-10-2006 , 06:13 PM

I'm afraid no luck on the front of repair

but i had saved an earlier one just after the ear so i played a bit with that one ... is there a way i can save textues and colours and such it would save lots of mucking about ... anyhoo here she is after one more night

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 23-10-2006 , 07:07 PM
The angle shots are looking good and shows she has some nice character.
I'm not too sure about the squareness of the top of the head from the front. Also the nose could do with some more work between the eyes or maybe the eyes setting a little wider (unless you have reference shots and they are that wide). Finally the lines down the cheeks seem to look far too rounded and artificial, I'd have thought that they would sag closer to the edges of the mouth.

Good going though, I think you chose quite a hard subject with an old person and its definately getting there user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 23-10-2006 at 07:09 PM.
# 25 24-10-2006 , 01:14 AM

yes to all

thanks again t1ck135

as i was putting the shots together last night i thought most of those things, the eyes are definitly too close (i think, need to check ref.) but i rekon your right there is definitly something wrong there, the cheeks have been bugging me for a while now but as you may have guessed i had bigger fish to fry.and as soon as i captured the front on shot my eyes yelled "what on earth is going on with her head" so yeh definatly too square on top ... still haveing a little greif with Maya tho' any attempt to run Polygon>smooth and Maya crashes it is very frustrating ... any ideas ... its a thing that i like to flick between as i like the way it smooths it seems to stay closer to what I'm modeling (the sub Div seems to loose something in the translation) so I tend to smooth have a look then Edit>undo it ... any thoughts would be appreciated

# 26 25-10-2006 , 03:00 AM

A little more tweeking

she is looking a little bit better there seems still to be lots of little bits of bad geometry, i find the odd bit every now and then, still wont "smooth" but I am just avoiding it, I dont realy need it after all, I have done a bit to the eyes cheek and head shape ...

Attached Thumbnails

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 27 27-10-2006 , 09:22 PM

final victory over the Poly Smooth thing

it was a combination of just finding the non quad geometry and using the Quadraglate tool (i think) oh well there was a lot of thrashing about backwards and forwards involved but here we are and all the tools are working again i have poked and proded allmost all of this head I think tho there is a bit yet to go... Oh well here she is

Attached Thumbnails

# 28 27-10-2006 , 10:00 PM
Acid44
thats really gooduser added image

though the eyes look kinda dead...

# 29 27-10-2006 , 11:39 PM

thanks ...

yeh .. I have only spent an hr on them after reading a little tut about making eyes i just stuck them in there to fill the empty sockets and to get the shape and scale ...at some point soon they will become the focus (ha ha no pun intended but ha ha anyway) its all such a big learning curve hopefully once i join the 2 halves of the head and add some Asymetry we might get a little more life as well
... pritty soon I'm going to have to unwrap this head of mine and start painting it ... anybody know any good tut's ive found lots that talk about what to do with it once you get it flat but almost none on how to get it there

# 30 28-10-2006 , 02:29 PM

joined the halves and add some asymetry

a little tweeking and joined the halves

Attached Thumbnails