Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 09-07-2008 , 09:43 AM

Rotate by 2 pivots

There's this trick I saw once - instead of using the circles to rotate an object you can set it's direction by two pivots you move around...
I don't really know how it's called so I had no luck in searching documentations and the web...
Can someone please tell me how to do it?
Thanks in advance,
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 2 09-07-2008 , 11:11 AM
Try this thread

It has a few solutions and stuff. If it's not what you're looking for just say so.

~I have no idea what I'm doing~
# 3 09-07-2008 , 06:11 PM
thanks Ajmooch, but...
That's not really what I was looking for.

I believe I saw this trick for a directional/spot light(that's mainly what I need it for, I just cant remember where I saw it) , where instead of moving the light and rotating it with both move and rotate tools -
You've got two pivots you can move around, one moves the light and the location of the other together with the location of the first set it's rotation (you can also move the second).

OK, its a bit user added image I believe... It looks like an aim constraint but with 2 pivots instead of objects (where one of them is the light).
Plus, I think it's something simple, just some variation of the rotate tool maybe, and I don't think there are any constraints there...
BTW, I'm using Maya 8.5
Somebody has an idea what I'm talking about?
Benny

EDIT: BTW, can someone explain the trick with grouping an object twice and manipulating the two pivots (Mike was talking about in the thread mentioned in the previous post)
I don't think it is it but it might be helpful...

My latest snake game

Last edited by BennyK; 09-07-2008 at 06:16 PM.
# 4 09-07-2008 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
hi,

the manipulator you want is available by hitting t on your keyboard. As far as I'm aware it is only available to use for lights and cameras.

Take it easy,

Mat

# 5 09-07-2008 , 08:55 PM
yea it's also known as the show manipulator tool... or you also might be thinking of driving the rotation with a locator using a constraint... *shrug*

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 10-07-2008 , 05:21 AM

Thanks people

Knew there's not much to it... user added image
Benny

My latest snake game