Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-11-2004 , 07:23 PM
Subscriber

painting weight frustration

I have finaly completed the rigging of my model and need to paint the weight.

Everything is simple except that when I try to paint and area, for exemple fingers, I sometime paint by accident another, ex: torso, and dont notice it until I do some testing by moving the squeleton.

This is very frustrating because I have to fix it and while doing so I also happen to paint on another area and the problem repeat itself over and over...

So is there a way to make sure that once I paint weight, it will never change?

Or to prevent Maya to add weight to area that are not directly connected to the one I am working on?

Thanks!

# 2 20-11-2004 , 07:43 PM
Subscriber
toggle hold weights to on. .

or if u are doing smooth skinning, use the "bind selected joint" method, and choose only joints the may accfect your skin.
[ie. for fingers, all finger joints and wrist joint or possibly a forearm joint- may affect your hand skin. u can then mirror the weights across on the other hand.]

for the mirror to work properly, you may need to bind both hands at the same time to their corresponding joints.
this method is a little tricky, because of how maya displays selected joints.
otherwise use the hold weights options to make life easier.