Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 61 23-11-2007 , 12:26 AM
Subscriber
# 62 24-11-2007 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
well since no one seemed to be able to help me here I went to cgsociety and asked the same question, and got a response that it's because my pants are at too low of a resolution. So now I have to work on fixing my pants and getting them to a high enough resolution.

So hopefully more updates later tonight or tomorrow.

# 63 24-11-2007 , 06:27 PM
are you sure you just havent set the collision, It looks like the bones are carrying the pant and leg but the the pant and leg have zero affect on one another.

# 64 24-11-2007 , 06:48 PM
Subscriber
yup collision objects are set.
it sounds like the not high enough mesh is pretty logical since the mesh and it's collision object push off of eachothers vertices, so you need more verts on the cloth in order to react properly to the collision object.
I somehow missed that on the tutorial I was learning from, and makes enough since if thats how cloth works. Only one way to find out.

The collision objects don't seem to work all that great though because I set the feet/shoes as a collision object to the pants and when I go to relax the cloth sometimes it goes through the shoes to. But once again, maybe it's the lack of verts on the cloth.

# 65 27-12-2007 , 11:06 PM
Subscriber
well I've still been working on this little by little... the cloth for clothing doesn't seem to be working out for me so I scrapped that idea at the moment and have modeled pants and a shirt onto the guy. I went to do some test movements and I noticed my weights aren't painted correctly, I spent about 3 hours messing around with that with no success... I haven't forgot about this project just it's been a pain right in my @$$, makes me want to forget about it and move on, but don't want to do that to yet another project

sorry no picture updates yet, I'll post some up of the new clothing and the weight painting problems later.

# 66 29-12-2007 , 06:31 PM
Hi Rhetoric Camel,

I've been looking at ncloth a bit recently, and something I've come across is that the king of clipping (passing through) that you're talking about can be fixed (in some cases at least) by increasing the "collision iterations" in the nucleus solver. It will then calculate more collision points on the surface.

Let me know how you get on, cause I'm going to be making some cloth trousers for my character soon too.

cheers,

gubar

# 67 29-12-2007 , 06:46 PM
Hi Rhetoric Camel,

I've been looking at ncloth a bit recently, and something I've come across is that the king of clipping (passing through) that you're talking about can be fixed (in some cases at least) by increasing the "collision iterations" in the nucleus solver. It will then calculate more collision points on the surface.

Let me know how you get on, cause I'm going to be making some cloth trousers for my character soon too.

cheers,

gubar

# 68 29-12-2007 , 08:12 PM
you could change the collisions to vertex face

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 69 01-01-2008 , 01:52 AM
another thing about n-cloth usually the resolutions of the two objects have to be roughly the same so they can react off each other

# 70 01-01-2008 , 07:49 PM
Subscriber
I don't have 2008 yet so I don't have the nCloth option. I'm just waiting for a graphics card in the mail before I get 2008, then I will try the nCloth ideas... thanks for the help though. And sorry for not updating, a lot of things between work and personal life that I've needed to take care of, keeps getting in the way of my maya time, hopefully I'll be back at a regular pace in another week. Can't wait to dive back into it.