Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-02-2005 , 06:26 PM

Modeling the triceratops

Hello I am modeling this triceratops. Problem is this that it looks fine in all the view except the front view. Both the legs should be parallel to each other. I have reached to the final stage of my modeling and I don't know how to fix that problem.

Will appreciate if anybody can help solving the problem

Attached Images
# 2 25-02-2005 , 06:34 PM
It actully looks correct as it is...

The legs don't need to be totally parallel, remember the hips would be a bit wider then the front as well as the legs being bigger because of more mucsle.

If you still want to move it over just select the vertices and start slowing moving it back into the body a bit.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 28-02-2005 , 05:07 PM
Thanks a lot . It makes complete sense what u said.

But i am confused with the reference image i found on the web and also looked some rendred 3d images on the web .

So will appreciate if u can look and give me ur feedback. Whether i should move the leg and make it parallel or it looks good the way it is?

Attached Images
# 4 28-02-2005 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber
I don't think you need to move the front legs, rather you just need to bow the them out. If you look closely, only appear to line up because the front legs are bowed, kind of like a bulldog's (see link). The picture clearly shows the rear femur to farther out, but rear leg is more linear.

https://www.internal.schools.net.au/e...riceratops.gif

If you're still committed to moving the leg, you might consider using a rectangular deformer around the front leg area and scale the deformer vertices out. Could be less of headache then moving vertices individually.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 28-02-2005 at 05:55 PM.
# 5 28-02-2005 , 09:26 PM
Thanks. But I am not aware about how to use rectangular deformer. Can u highlight on that?
This is what it looks in the front view. It seems something is wrong. I don’t know what?

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 28-02-2005 , 09:41 PM
Subscriber
Sorry, that should have read a lattice deformer. This deformer creates a box around the select model or faces, pulling the lattice points deforms the model the lattice is attached to. Once you have the model deformed to you liking, delete history on it to remove the lattice and keep the deformations.

I still think the top joint of the front legs are fine where they're at. You just need to bow out the front legs to the knees are away from the body. Review the link in my previous reply.

# 7 28-02-2005 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
Something like this...

Attached Images

# 8 01-03-2005 , 06:37 PM
Thanks a million.
I did get an idea how it should look. That picture made by view clear and I did what u explained. Here are the results.

Attached Images
# 9 02-03-2005 , 12:09 AM
Suggestions and critique welcome. I have posted by side and front view. Pl let me know if there is anything to improve

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 02-03-2005 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
The head is great! Good body! From the side looks very good, from the front the front legs look... I don't know... rubbery? Too much smoothing maybe?

Again, the head look great smoothed!

# 11 02-03-2005 , 09:20 PM
Thanks. R/ Michael

Here is the front image without smoothing. So what should I do for my legs? Because when i smoothed out the whole model, the legs don't look good. As u mentioned it becomes too much rubbery.

What is the solution to it?

It will be great if u can suggest me how to overcome this thing.
I know exactly how to move the vertices but I am not able to achieve the desired result.

I am struggling . so will appreciate ur feedback

Attached Images

Last edited by meetsamitzarna; 03-03-2005 at 07:48 AM.
# 12 03-03-2005 , 08:46 PM
No replies yet. Waiting for some to help me to solve my problem.
Will appreciate help

# 13 03-03-2005 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
Since smoothing basically subdivides that faces, you might manually add more splits to control where the subdivison occur.

You could also manually edit the vetices to compensate for the curvature cause during smooting.

Rember the lattice deformer? You could place one around the thigh and manipulate the lattice points to compensate also.

I'm sure there are other ways too.

# 14 03-03-2005 , 10:58 PM
thanks i did understood what u said but is there any way to select only legs with the deform lattice. i selected the face and clicked on deform lattice but it requires the whole object. So wondering if u know any way that i can only select the front leg after smoothing the whole model

# 15 03-03-2005 , 11:23 PM
Subscriber
Sorry, my mistake. I'm still learning this program too.

You should select the vertices vice the faces then apply the lattice.