Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 16-06-2007 , 01:31 PM

'Lost' manipulators

I have been hunting all over the net for a fix to this problem, it seems to be really common but no one ever provides a solution, there are a million open-ended threads with no answer!

My MANIPULATOR TOOL is not visible

I am trying to extrude a very basic polygon face, the show manipulator tool button highlights but the tool does not appear.

It isn't scaled incorrectly - I've tried pressing + / - indefinitely also have re-set the global scale settings. They are definitely switched on in the channels>settings area.

I've only just installed maya - this is my second ever scene and my first use of the tool. That coupled with the fact that this seems to be a common issue, I'm finding it hard to believe re-installing the software will help.

Some people have suggested it's a graphics card problem but I don't know anything about this kind of thing or even what card I have!

I'm using Maya version 8.0 on a mac G4.

Incidentally when I view the tool settings I get a blank window - I've tried edit>reset settings but there are no buttons or sliders in there to change (could I have a missing component in the software?)

pleeeeeeeeeeease help me, I feel like I might as well give up without this tool
:headbang:

# 2 16-06-2007 , 02:14 PM
Its mainly a graphics card issue, meaning that you might need to update the drivers for it.

I would suggest looking to see what card you have then download the correct drivers for it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 16-06-2007 , 02:23 PM
sorry, I'm a moron when it comes to things like this....

my system info for 'graphics'

ATI Radeon 9600: < < is this the card?

Chipset Model: ATY,RV351
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4150
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-117
Displays:
eMac:
Display Type: CRT
Resolution: 1152 x 864 @ 80 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display:

# 4 16-06-2007 , 02:25 PM
if so on amds website it says this:

RadeonĀ® Series Drivers and Software for Mac OS X 10.4.x and 10.3.x

Download Link File Size Version Date Posted Package Includes
ATI Displays Panel 6.94MB 4.5.7 Dec. 14, 2005 ATI Displays Panel
Retail Update 6.94MB N/A Dec. 14, 2005 Drivers and Plug-Ins*

Retail Update not required for RadeonĀ® 9600 PRO PC & Mac Editions

# 5 16-06-2007 , 03:32 PM
Hey Man

It very well could be your graphics card, i'm not too up on the older macs (the G series) so I couldent tell you if its onboard or what.

I would check out the Autodesk qualification charts as I dont think that the card youve got is qualified to run maya.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 16-06-2007 , 04:35 PM
Jr.Who
I'm running a 9600 Pro, but I never had any problems like that. It could quite possibly be your computer though.

# 7 17-06-2007 , 09:10 AM
right, it is my computer model / graphics card (it's only just two years old :hug: )

it says maya will install and run but there are a few anomalies (including problems viewing manipulators)

so my question now evolves to........

will a new graphics card solve this, is it worth buying one or should I be thinking about a new computer (again) ?

thanks for all your help!! xx

# 8 17-06-2007 , 01:30 PM
Jr.Who
I'd say go with a new computer. My G5 is coming on 4 years old now and it's time to upgrade. Those new Intels are looking really nice.
user added image