Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 18-01-2004 , 10:13 PM

modeling a guitar - curves?

I made the outline for a acoustic guitar body using cv curves and then extruded it. when I render it shows that the top and bottom planes are non-existant (only the perimeter planes) How do I add these planes. Also, should I convert this to a polygon or what? I'm going to be adding other pieces like the neck and such and cutting a sound hole in the body.

Thanks,
Stu

# 2 18-01-2004 , 10:29 PM
The Maya Mountain
If you draw the outline with the Create Polygon tool and then do a polygon extrude, you'll have the entire shape.

As for what you have, I think you'll have an easier time with it as polys. So, if you convert, you can use the Append to Poly tool to fill in the gaps.

# 3 19-01-2004 , 05:15 AM
The way I've built a guitar shape in the past is to draw the body's shape using the CV tool set to cubic. Once the curve is closed, create a surface using bevelPlus and make the output geometry whatever you want...polys or nurbs. If you mess around with bevelplus for a bit, you can get the right bevel (concave/convex) for the guitar edges...very under-used tool, IMO.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 19-01-2004 , 06:05 PM

Originally posted by NitroLiq
The way I've built a guitar shape in the past is to draw the body's shape using the CV tool set to cubic. Once the curve is closed, create a surface using bevelPlus and make the output geometry whatever you want...polys or nurbs. If you mess around with bevelplus for a bit, you can get the right bevel (concave/convex) for the guitar edges...very under-used tool, IMO.

This worked great! As suggested by mtmckinley I made the output polys. Thanks guys user added image

-Stu

# 5 19-01-2004 , 06:50 PM
I'm trying to make the body hollow with a sound hole cut, but none of the poly boolean functions seem to follow the boolean logic that i'm familiar with. I made a copy of the body and shrunk it to fit inside the outer body and made a cylinder for the sound hole.

I first tried doing a difference between the two bodies, but no matter which one I selected first it didn't achieve what I wanted, a hollow body. I also tried a union between the inner body and cylinder, thinking that I could then use that do subtract from the outer body. However, that union resulted in a very short cylinder (not a union of the cylinder and body).

What's going on? Thanks!

Attached Images
# 6 20-01-2004 , 03:48 AM
Booleans can be tricky....I just usually try each one and pay attention to the order I select the objects to be booleaned. Try just a union boolean with the outside body and a cylinder. That should give you the hole. Then just delete the faces in the hole's bottom/sides so you can see through it. You can always bevel the edges of the hole once it's done (or extrude/push edges to create the rounder edges of the soundhole).

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 7 20-01-2004 , 05:56 AM
ok, after thinking long and hard, maya's boolean logic is making more sense to me. When I do a union between the outer body and cylinder it produces the effect that I originally thought would be the result of the difference of the cylinder from the body. I believe this is because the cylinder is a hollow object and the union is between all the faces of the body and the cylinder. Before doing this I did a union between the outer and inner bodies. To get the sound hole open I had to delete the faces on the flat side of the cylinder. I also put a sphere inside the body to see if it worked because the lighting sucks so I couldn't tell user added image

Thanks!

# 8 08-12-2011 , 03:28 AM

I cannot tell you how amazing this is to know. I had never heard of this tool and I'm working on a model of a guitar studio for a final project in my 3D class at OSU. I can't wait to see what else this tool can do! Thanks for sharing!