Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-08-2003 , 10:22 PM

Displacement

I'm trying to understand how to do displacement in Maya, but cannot get it to do anything. I've made sure I have mesh to be displaced, and made a very simple material so it should make a very simple pyramid, but it does nothing. Does anyone want to take a look and see what I've missed?

Thanks,
-dann

Attached Files
File Type: mb displ01.mb (42.7 KB, 126 views)
# 2 12-08-2003 , 03:01 AM
Well, I finally figured it out. Rather obscure, but you have to set the Alpha Gain under Color Balance to get any effect. It was a shot in the dark, basically trying every single item in the attibutes window that eventually uncovered this hidden one.

# 3 15-08-2003 , 11:41 PM
Subscriber
Hi Dann,

I don't know if you have been to this site yet, but there is some quite interesting stuff which Olivier Renouard has made about displacement maps... -->
https://www.drone.org

e.g. his plugin... user added image

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...