Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 24-11-2014 , 02:12 AM

UV Unwrap issues with Imported IGES HELPPPP

Hi All,

I'm attempting to do an unwrap of a surface that I brought in from another application (Rhino), anddddd as I've heard, it is a nightmare. The IGES file came in as a series of small patch surfaces, with which I couldn't join and couldn't create edge loops that extended past 1 surface patch. I did the Convert>Convert NURBS to Polygons, with Attach Multiple Output Meshes selected. After that, I was able to create an edge loop across the patches using the Multi Cut Tool, but I don't know where to go from here for the unwrapping. Every tutorial that I watch says to start with a Planar Projection in the UV Texture Editor, but when I select the model and try to do a Planar Project, nothing happens. I was able to get a projection using Cylindrical Mapping, but it is pretty rough. I've also tried importing the surface as a SAT file with the same results.
Recreating the surface from scratch in Maya is not an option (it was created from a 3D scan). Has anyone run into these issues before? Is there a solid workflow for unwrapping surfaces imported from the outside?

Thanks in advance for taking a look. Virtual rounds of drinks are in order user added image

# 2 24-11-2014 , 10:33 AM
The thin red line
Could you show a shot of your mesh and is it still in parts................dave

# 3 24-11-2014 , 06:23 PM

Could you show a shot of your mesh and is it still in parts................dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking a look. Here is what I have so far. All of the patches are now stitched together through Attach Multiple Output in Convert NURBS to Polygon. This screenshot also shows my attempt at a cylindrical mapping of the projection in the Texture editor. I also forgot to mention that I am working in Maya 2015.

Bryan

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 24-11-2014 , 07:37 PM
The thin red line
Not sure I can help you here as the mesh looks like a bit of a mess, have you got zbrush or mudbox 2015 as they have some simple retopology tools...............dave