Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 05-04-2009 , 03:37 AM

WIP Haunted House Tutorial

hey guys,

first of all, i'm new to 3d modelling so i got the haunted house tutorial, which is really nice to understand! but i have one little problem, please see my rendering, there a strange black lines at my model and i just don't know why.

maybe someone has an idea, could be like a typical beginners-fault?

greetz,
3dagent

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-04-2009 , 05:42 AM
Please post your render settings.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 05-04-2009 , 12:27 PM
hey,

okay, i screenshoted the actual render settings but i didn't changed them except for the quality..., like in the haunted house tutorial video. i'm using maya 2008, could it has something to do with my hardware?

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 05-04-2009 , 12:51 PM
okay, i changed the light-settings a little bit, first my bias was 0 but i now i set it up to .3, the strange black lines disappeared, but the next thing is my shadow, look at the stilts, the shadow has like a gap, the same below my cullis...

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 05-04-2009 , 05:57 PM
Subscriber
it looks like you're getting a gap in your shadows because they're not actually touching the ground, make those posts go into the ground and see if that helps.

This was the second tutorial I did and it was a big help for me, you're doing a good job so far, can't wait to see the progress. KUTGW user added image

# 6 05-04-2009 , 11:44 PM
well, the weird thing is, i am actually touching the ground with everything, but the higher i set bias, the more distance i get...
i didn't know, what bias acutally mean so i take a look at google and found out, that it's for the distance, but i don't understand what it is really good for? why should you move the shadow away from the object? if i set bias to zero, i get this black lines like in the first post. anyway, i finished the modelling part right now and will begin texturing tomorrow, so i wanted to let you guys know, what i'm doing

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 11-04-2009 , 12:40 AM
well, finally i finished this tutorial and project, i know, its not the best result as far as kurt did his final rendering. but i'm satisfied with the result and the tutorial helped me so much to get into maya a lot more.
and i learned another important fact: organization! user added image
one last question, my grass looks still so animated with regard to the smooth grass kurt has done, any ideas?
anyway, kurt has done a great job with this tutorial, i understood everything and he didn't skip any detail!

edit: i forgot, in one section kurt has done clouds in the sky and the sky itself, and he link-deconnected it from the light (the sky) so the sky didn't project a shadow on itself, but alter on he created another sky withoug doing this light-linking-thing. so, is there a way to set the background to not cast shadows but still to be lighted? you can still see the sky, the clouds and the moon cast shadows on the sky-sphere!

(sorry for my english)

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by 3dagent; 11-04-2009 at 12:43 AM.
# 8 13-04-2009 , 12:21 AM
okay, i found out, renderstats...
but thx anyway

Attached Thumbnails