Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 08-11-2004 , 02:57 AM
Subscriber

Torch that emit light too

What I want to do: make a wall torch that will be animated and emit light.

I have looked at the fire ring tutorial but it doesnt help me to understand how to make the fire actualy cast light (of the appropriate color).

Thanks!

# 2 08-11-2004 , 07:26 AM
The easiest thing would be for it to cast a light would be to make it glow. Use special effects -> glow under your material's attributes, and experiment at will user added image. You'll probably want to post-edit that though... There are other ways but this should work user added image

# 3 08-11-2004 , 11:44 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, I will give this a try. I dont want to do post-render work on this because its going to be an animation and there will be hundreds of frame to 'fix'...

# 4 08-11-2004 , 01:44 PM
Well with glow there usually is an alpha... with programs like A-AE you can usually use effects based on that alpha., but you would just need that then.

# 5 08-12-2004 , 01:42 AM

More information

Heya,
I was reading the thread, and was wondering how did it work out and if you did use the post edit alpha channel thing?

I am also trying to create fire, wanted to know what is the best way, and if any of you could send me in the good direction..

Cheers.
Amit

# 6 08-12-2004 , 02:06 PM
Subscriber
Hehe,

I havent had time to test it because when I was experiencing with renders and lighting strategy I saw the thread about light fog and insted focused on that (without much success).

Anyways, I still need to put a torch there so eventually I will have to face the problem. I will post a screenshot once its done!

# 7 08-12-2004 , 04:44 PM
Sounds cool man! would love to know how it goes..
Good luck with that!

Hope to hear from ya soon!