Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-01-2007 , 11:16 PM

Spider-man project HELP!!!

hey guys im a student at the new york film academy, and i am crazy so for my last project, i chose to do spiderman..... lol

i will not have any problems animating, but the question is how can i make his webbing come out of his wrist?

i have no idea on how to do it but the things i should keep in mind is that....

1. spiderman will hold the web
2. the web will be dangling around (or animated)

my instructor said i will need a lot of mel scripting and probably use soft and rigid bodies but he isnt sure himself yet..

my question to you guys is... How would you make it if you were to animate spiderman?

any help would be so greatly appreciated and help me with my project a lot..

thank you all in advance, Yuriy K.

Copyright © 2006 YuriyNYR™ Productions
# 2 30-01-2007 , 02:39 AM
Subscriber
PErsonally, i'd have his wrist emit particals for the shooting of the web form his wrist, then have a cleaverly placed edit in the animation, to replace the partical stream with some from of poly/nurb object that he can grab/swing on...
thats the short of it anyway..
G

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 3 30-01-2007 , 05:23 AM
Subscriber
might be right out of place here but it might give you some ideas because you might have to use clever transitions as was suggested by the legend.

here are some ideas when i was aking a fuse, similar idea at least you can aimat along a curve path; as i said, might very left of centre

use partial' when setting extruding opyions

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 30-01-2007 , 05:25 AM
Subscriber
simple extrude operation, scaling circle using history

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 30-01-2007 , 05:26 AM
Subscriber
animate/key subcurve 2

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 30-01-2007 , 09:07 AM
thanks guys.. ill give it a try

# 7 30-01-2007 , 07:15 PM
Subscriber
Im thinking 'blendshape??

# 8 30-01-2007 , 10:06 PM
i guess i can use this method.. thanks.. but now,

when the end of the web attaches to a building, (i will probably shoot it at a locator and have it constrained) and the starting point will be attached to spidey's wrist, when the character moves, how can i have the rest of the webbing move with him?

also, is it possible to somehow have the web kind of detach from him with an attribute? maybe an on and off switch?? and then some possible way it will reset on his wrist... again maybe with an on and off switch?

and this will happen infinite times because he will be using his web many many times.... if its not possible to have the webbing reset infinite times, then i guess i have to re-create it in every scene he will use it which is a pain in the butt but no other way.

thanks for listening, yuriy k.

# 9 31-01-2007 , 03:08 PM
ok... this worked great.. only one problem.

after i extruded the cylinder from the curve and nurbs circle, i then rebuilded the surface of the cylinder and added more segments to make the web look more dynamic. so wat i did was created a cluster for the start point of the nurbs curves' CV's, and point constrained the cluster to the wrist control and it works great.

the other end of the curve, i also made a cluster from the CV and point constrained that cluster to a locator i placed onto a building.

since nothing was done to the cv's of the curve in the middle, the rope only moves at the CV controled by the wrist control. the middle of the nurbs cylinder doesnt move...

what can i do to make the center of the cylinder also be simulated when the wrist control is moved? is it possible to somehow use soft bodies for this?

if so, help would be appreciated... thanks. Yuriy, K.

# 10 01-02-2007 , 12:52 PM
Subscriber
use a lot of topology, use joints and scale/strech them, thats how they do cartoon figures and I guess that would work with spider man too, do you need an example?? very simple!

# 11 01-02-2007 , 03:33 PM
I did something similar when i was in college, I made a particle stream use a texture map that was emitted from a hidden plane that was controled by a lattice. I keyed the UV offset and the particles where flung in the direction (U in my case) outward.

I imagine you could do something similar to that in your project though I can't really help you. I used the Digital Tutors training DVD and bearly understood it myself plus its been about a year since i've even seen the material. I advice you either invest in the disc to get aquanted with the principal or look for tutorials.

# 12 01-02-2007 , 05:43 PM
i will post my file here so you guys can test it out.... im using maya 8

use the Web attribute on the wrist control.

the circle geometry is supposably spideys hand. if you put the web attribute to 10, and then move the wrist Control, you will see the where i made the 2 cluster in between the locators, (i did this to show where the problem is) that middle part of the webbing is not moving at all and i dont know how to have that move dynamically when the wrist control is moved. the stretching is ok since it is a web but if i pull the wristcontrol back, the web should stretch, as well as pull the middle portion of the web back with it.

any ideas???

Attached Files
File Type: mb web.mb (65.6 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by yuriynyr; 04-02-2007 at 03:32 AM.
# 13 03-02-2007 , 10:17 AM
anyone figured it out??

plzzz help =[

# 14 03-02-2007 , 11:31 AM
i think i need to go back over the particles kit before i can even look at that. my eyes glazed over a bit ^^; its familiar but thats as much as i can say.