Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 08-02-2004 , 02:46 AM

IK handle control, the root?

Hi,

I've had maya for about a year now and I can not figure out how to control the root joint.

I can make and control the IK handles of the hands and feets, but not the root. The root will not even move, without moving the whole character. All I can do is move the upper and lower body.

So how do I creat a handle for the root or hip area? I know this much it has to be done in the hypergraph.

I hope you guys know what I'm talking aboutuser added image

Any help will be very appreciate!

# 2 08-02-2004 , 02:56 AM
You don't need an IK handle at the root. Just create a control object (nurbs circle, locator, whatever) and parent the root joint to that controller. Also, make sure the Sticky attribute is turned on for all of the IK handles. Maya 5 has this disabled by default.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 08-02-2004 , 02:56 AM
The Maya Mountain
The purpose of the root IS to move the whole character. Make sure your IK handles are set to "sticky" if in Maya 5.

# 4 08-02-2004 , 02:57 AM
The Maya Mountain
# 5 08-02-2004 , 03:00 AM
LOL

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 08-02-2004 , 03:02 AM
Subscriber
normally root joint is just the root joint, it's purpose is to seclect skeleton hierarchy ... (when i rig)
i usually place a join right above the root joing in order to create spline handle ik to control upper body to the joint between shoulders.
but the root (when i rig) all the weight is set to 0) and i usually put the selection handle behind or in front so i can just select entire skeleton.
and to mproperly deform the hips, u have to add 1 or 2 hip joints on each side. .
hope this helped
user added image

# 7 08-02-2004 , 07:02 AM
Hey, Thank you guys so much!

It was "sticky" that was not on.

Oh man.... The nightmare is finally over:bgreen:

Now I can do character animation, yahoooo!!!!