Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-04-2003 , 03:56 AM

slider?

In this movie, it uses a slider to adjust the transparentcies of 3 image planes. HOW THE! How do i do that? Is it Maya 5 they are using there? Or can 4.5U do it?

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 2 07-04-2003 , 03:59 AM
The Maya Mountain
you can create custom Attributes (Modify > Add Attribute) and then use Set Driven Key to control transparancy.

# 3 07-04-2003 , 08:25 PM
You Could also write a simple expression, kind of like this :

imagePlane_Top.transparancy = slider.translateX ;
imagePlane_Side.transparancy = slider.translateX ;
imagePlane_Front.transparancy = slider.translateX ;

explanation:

imagePlane_Top = name of the shader for the image plane.
imagePlane_Top.transparancy = The transparancy attribute on the shader.
slider.translateX ; = the name of the slider object.
slider.translateX ; = the translation attribute for the slider object.

This would result in change of transparancy if you move the slider object in the X direction. Completely transparant if you move the slider object more than 1 unit.
You could add some math to the expression if you would like to move the slider over a longer distance before it get completely transparant.

example :

imagePlane_Top.transparancy = slider.translateX / 10 ; and you would have to move the object 10 units before it would be completely transparent.

This is just an alternative way to do the same as with set driven key. Set driven key kind of writes the expression for you, but if you write your own expression you would have complete control over what actually happens, and would be able to do much more mathematically correct control, as this could be used for more ways of controlling stuff, and is easily editable in the expression editor if needed - where set driven key is harder to do edits on.

I hope you get the point.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 4 07-04-2003 , 10:58 PM
Thanks for that Caligraphics user added image I'll have a go with that.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 5 08-04-2003 , 05:52 AM
Please note that I am not 100% sure that the transparancy is named exactly what I wrote.. You might have to refer to the attribute like this : name.subname.attribName or similar, but you can grab the name of the node by looking in the channel box

Select your shader node, and look in the channel editor and you should be able to spot the name. Also be aware that its CaSE seNSitIvE!

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S