Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-05-2004 , 04:20 PM

Using maya for video effects?

I understand that you can create stuff in maya and then use it in video. How hard is it to do this? I've been doing basic editing up to now with video cam and Final Cut Pro 4. I've also started using Adobe after Effects. Once ive created something in maya (like an effect or model), what program would i use to combine it with my video footage?

# 2 06-05-2004 , 04:26 PM
After Effects. Export your maya animation as an image sequence with alpha channels, then composite it on a layer in AE. Rage has done a very nice tutorial on compositing with maya/AE here. If you get more advanced with using your own footage, AE 5.5 and on can work with Maya camera data.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 06-05-2004 , 04:38 PM
Thanks alot mate. I had a feeling that was the case hence my recent interest in AE. hehehe.... so much to learn, let the fun begin.

Peace!

# 4 06-05-2004 , 06:13 PM
So how hard would it be to film someones face and then add an artificial tear (as if the person was crying) or something? My idea is to like zoom right into the tear and then have another scene within the tear.
I reckon i'm gonna sign up for a VIP account. the tutorials on this site look quality.

# 5 06-05-2004 , 06:48 PM
You could look at this to get an idea of what's involved, I suppose:

Breath Vapor Simulation

If you have Maya Live (maya unlimited), you can read the manual/tuts on setting matchpoints and all that to your footage.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."