Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-12-2003 , 05:14 AM
Subscriber

Boolean problem

Having problems performing any type of boolean on my wing. I actually want to make a few booleans but the first one doesn't work though there's no error. I'm trying to use difference and each time i try both objects dissapear. There's no history on either object. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-12-2003 , 06:26 AM
Subscriber
I have had this problem also.. I think it makes it to much of a nonmainfold geo if it could get its self to do it.. (not sure if thats the right term) you might try splitting up the polys more around the place where you want the boolean to take affect. much like "split for affect". So in other words, I don't think there is enufe edges there on the one big peace for the smaller one to get enufe bite on it.

BTW not trying to tell you what to do with your model at all. I was just wandering this part really. It looks like you have some really nice wire going there.. so I was wandering why you might chouse to go with a boolean insted of useing what you have used to get you whare you are.

Last edited by Pony; 04-12-2003 at 06:28 AM.
# 3 04-12-2003 , 07:06 AM
Subscriber
Yeah, i think you're right with the geometery Pony. I have been trying to keep the wire as clean as possible and avoiding booleans like the plague. The small cylinder i wanted to boolean was just really a test for a much bigger one i was going to be making. Namely the cutaway under the wing for the landing gear when retracted. I think i might just stay away from them all together and like you said, use what i already have.

Thanks again.