Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 14-10-2007 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber

Which should I learn first

Hello,

I have 2 questions for some of you vets here. First if you could pick to learn 3D SMax or Maya (both version 2008) which would you do first? I am a complete newb to both programs and I started both Kurt's Fish tut on Max and his Basic Human form tut on Maya, I realized with my limited time being that I am trying to learn this in my spare time that I need to focus on one program at a time, I just dont know which one I should do first user added image

Second question, do you think that having a lot of art talent is required for this type of stuff if your only going to do it at a hobby level? Can I get away with relying more on image planes than some? I have a good eye for what something should look like but I have 0 art talent to actually translate that to paper through pencil/pen, I am a little better at the 3D stuff becasue I can basiclly undo what I did and try agian it just makes for a little bit slower modeling. I will probably never break into the industry but can you make really good non organic models without being an art genius?

Thanks in advance for all your help, I have been trolling these forums for a few days now and they have allready helped me to start to learn Maya and Max user added image

# 2 14-10-2007 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
If you are only doing 3D in your spare time there doesn't really seem any need to learn multiple modelling/animation. rendering etc programmes at first. As you have tried using both max and maya its really upto you to decide you felt more natural with really, I know a lot of people who prefer max to maya and visa versa.

With reference to the art side of computer animation it really depends on what direction you want to go with your animation. If you actually want to animate characters and produce creative tales then yes it is fairly important to have some form art based backgrond, but that is not to say it is essential, and things can always be learnt. I personally am not very "arty" and am taking a BSc course in computer animation, which is actually more based around the vfx and coding side of the industry. I followed this route as that is what I personallly prefer to the actual character animtion side.

Basically, no the whole art side is not essential, depending on the area you are most interested in, but it certainly wouldn't be detrimental to study up on techniques such as drawing, lighting, etc either.

Hope this helps and good luck with which ever program you choose.

Chris

# 3 14-10-2007 , 09:04 PM
Jr.Who

Re: Which should I learn first

Originally posted by nweaver
Hello,

I have 2 questions for some of you vets here. First if you could pick to learn 3D SMax or Maya (both version 2008) which would you do first? I am a complete newb to both programs and I started both Kurt's Fish tut on Max and his Basic Human form tut on Maya, I realized with my limited time being that I am trying to learn this in my spare time that I need to focus on one program at a time, I just dont know which one I should do first user added image

You’re asking this question on a Maya forum, what do you think the answer is? user added image

Originally posted by nweaver
Second question, do you think that having a lot of art talent is required for this type of stuff if your only going to do it at a hobby level? Can I get away with relying more on image planes than some? I have a good eye for what something should look like but I have 0 art talent to actually translate that to paper through pencil/pen, I am a little better at the 3D stuff becasue I can basiclly undo what I did and try agian it just makes for a little bit slower modeling. I will probably never break into the industry but can you make really good non organic models without being an art genius?

I wouldn’t say it’s essential, but it can be a good bonus.

BTW, is there a reason that you’re learning both Max and Maya? user added image

# 4 14-10-2007 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber

Re: Re: Which should I learn first

Originally posted by Jr.Who
You’re asking this question on a Maya forum, what do you think the answer is? user added image

I wouldn’t say it’s essential, but it can be a good bonus.

BTW, is there a reason that you’re learning both Max and Maya? user added image

I figured I would get some bias to Maya here on these forums but the SMax forums are so dead I didnt think it was worth while to post there. user added image

And the reason I am learning both, well, I guess *trying* both would be a better term, is I have read that both have their strengths and weaknesses and you should really try both before deciding. I am pretty good with software and computers so I feel confident I could get comfortable in both so its a hard choice. I live in the 3D CAD world (pro/e, UGS, ect) for a living so right now the hardest part for me is the spinning and panning, I have to do it one way at work then come home and switch it up for Maya/Max, why cant all these companies get together and do it the same way for pete's sake user added image

I think if I had to pick right now I would probably pick Maya since it seems to have more options for modeling and better modules for texturing/animating. Even though my idea is to only do this at a hobby level I will still want to take projects through the entire process of modeling/texturing/rigging/animating.

Last edited by nweaver; 14-10-2007 at 09:47 PM.
# 5 14-10-2007 , 09:50 PM
Lifetime Member
To be honest both apps have advantages and disadvantages, personally I prefer Maya because it just suits my workflow and has more flexabilty in the UI with the use of MEL.
You need to try them both and decide which is for you but I do know that swapping apps after learning another can be quite traumatic to some as you really do get used to a workflow after a time and that requires a rethink once you swap.

Don't let them convince you that you need art skills to use a 3D app for hobbyist type stuff, you don't and art is subjective and personal and iff you enjoy and like what you create thats all that matters.Learning some art skills will help and make it easier but at the day it's your creation and how you get there doesn't really matter along as you get to your target.

Ok scrap the first paragraph Max Sucks ..choose Maya user added image

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 6 14-10-2007 , 10:21 PM
Program is irrelevant as they are both capable of the same results and it completely depends on what you are doing.

If your doing allot of poly modeling i would say max, if your doing allot of character animation i would say maya. That said they are both capable as each other.

When it comes to being good at art to be able to use it... definitely not when were simply talking about being able to use it. There are plenty of people in industry who are not very artistic but are very good at technical problem solving.

However if your not practiced at art, to an extent you may find it harder to create your ideas. Artistic knowledge helps no end but it is all learnable with practice, don't let anything preconceptions you have inhibit you. Just go for it!

# 7 15-10-2007 , 12:05 AM
Since you work in the CAD world, it might be better to learn 3dsMax according to what I've heard and read here and there, but I don't know why.

I found out recently that the company I work for has a division which does a lot of 3d animation and modeling for all kinds of architectural stuff. They even do accident recreations etc. They start their models in AutoCAD and then import them into 3dMax. Their main tools are AutoCAD, 3dsMax, and Photoshop if I remember correctly. You can check out samples of how they use them together at https://www.urscreativeimaging.com/

But like everyone's said so far, it think it depends on EXACTLY what you want to use the program for.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 8 15-10-2007 , 12:11 AM
Max is used a lot Architectural vis, buit I think the lines beginning to blur.

If your a hobbyist have a look to see what you feel more comfortable with and what has more user support (asthats important if you get any problems.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 19-10-2007 , 12:23 AM
Usually when I learn something in Maya, I try to copy it in Max, since they're so much alike anyway. At least then, I'm on the same level with both programs.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman