Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-09-2015 , 03:02 PM

Rigging a Shoulder Pad

Hello animators, and anyone else who reads this!

I have spent countless hours on Google, experiments that failed, and I'm pretty much stuck with a part of my character for quite some time.

I have a shoulder pad/plate on a character I'm modelling and will soon be animating. I want to add physics to the pad so that it rotates on the hinge when the character's arm moves, or when he runs etc. However, my experience with rigidbodies and Bullet physics in general is shoddy, and my past attempts have resulted in the rigidbodies not moving together with the rig and general spazzing.
user added image
Some things to note:
- The hinge is binded to the skeleton and is a child of the torso assembly.
- The shoulder pad has no actual hole for the hinge pin to go through (I wanted to disable collisions between the 2 and just use the constraint)
- To use the hinge as a Bullet passive rigidbody, I unlocked the translate and scale attributes. Currently, after undoing my failed work, the attributes are in their locked position as expected.

- I'm using Maya 2016 SP2

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thank you!

# 2 25-09-2015 , 04:51 AM
So I figured out the trick: Using really, really rigid nCloth.

A simple component-to-component constraint, and I was good to go.

# 3 25-09-2015 , 05:36 PM
Administrator
Nice you figured it out and thanks for posting your solution.

Nilla