Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 27-03-2014 , 09:49 PM

Export Texture as PNG

I am trying to bring a model into an AR program called Aurasma. It requires the texture be a png. I have sculpted a polygon model and then I lit it and baked the lighting into the texture, but when I export it as an .obj the texture exports as an .mtl. How can I either export my texture as a png or convert an .mtl to a png?

# 2 28-03-2014 , 06:28 AM
Subscriber
The mtl file is not a texture file it's simply a discription file to tell what texture the obj has. You can open it in a text editor this will show you what I mean sounds like your not exporting the baked texture

It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion
# 3 28-03-2014 , 02:34 PM

Thanks for your response

So how do I export my baked texture as a png. Sorry if I seem lazy by asking what is probably a simple question, but I've been trying to solve this for five days now and my head is inside out from rereading the manual so many times. So far all I have found is how to export the texture map in order to paint the texture in another program which isn't what I need, since I can't paint the shadows accurately in photoshop.

Last edited by NeBu6; 28-03-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: more detail
# 4 28-03-2014 , 03:35 PM
Well the real issue here is that Maya is not a sculpting application. When you baked your texture did it show up in the hypershade under the texture tab? If so you can right-click and say you want to see it in the explorer.

# 5 28-03-2014 , 06:22 PM
The thin red line
You need to import the texture as a separate item as they are save in different place to your object file, look in
Transfer maps
C:/Users/Dave1/Documents/maya/projects/default/textures/sampledDiffuseColor.png
Or Batch bake (mental ray)
C:\Users\Dave1\Documents\maya\projects\default\ren derData\mentalray\lightMap\Baked.png

dave

# 6 28-03-2014 , 06:48 PM

Thank you and thankyou

I can't believe I have spent so much time trying to figure out how to export something that was exported to my files automatically days ago.

When you guys are called up to heaven, make sure you have "saved someone from death by repeated head banging on keyboard" in your plus column. This should cancel out one murder on your minus column.

# 7 29-03-2014 , 02:02 AM
Banned
A guy says to his friend, "Guess how many coins I have in my pocket." The friends says, "If I guess right, will you give me one of them?" The first guys says, "If you guess right, I'll give you both of them!"