Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 23-04-2005 , 05:11 PM

Really annoying problem

So I am having this really bothersome issue loading support files for tutorials. I have the tutorials support files copied from the DVD to my computer. The problem is, when I load any of the files, the textures don't load. I get Warning error messages telling me it can't load the textures. So all I get is the grey shaded objects. What could be wrong, any ideas, i really appreciate any help or thoughts.
Thanks

David

# 2 23-04-2005 , 09:51 PM
yeh. its coz ur maya file is looking for the texture files.. but that is in your dvd, not your harddrive.. even if u copy the texture files to yoru harddrive.. the maya file will try to look for the file in dvd..

and it'll be like "uh oh.. where is it... damn it, can't find".

either run it straight from DVD, run maya file on harddrive but have the DVD in the drive so it reads texts, OR copy mayafile + texture to computer, but then u must redirect all the textures to your harddrive directory.

ex. "E:/mayastuff/textures/crummyskin.tiff" to... "C:/blah/blah/crummyskin.tiff"

# 3 24-04-2005 , 02:27 AM
That made sense, exept the running it straight from the DVD didn't work. I explored the DVD in My computer, and then opened the file, but no luck.
Another question, to redirect the files, do I copy them to a new place, or is there an option in maya to tell it where to look? I'm not sure how I should 'redirect' them.
Thanks

David

# 4 24-04-2005 , 05:20 AM
odd! it should work if ran from DVD.

by redirecting, i meant... opening up hypergraph, assigning a material, then choosing the file for the texture..

of course.. if you do not know what file your texture is.. then you can't.

im not sure why it does not work straight from DVD. Have u tried pressing "6"?

4=wireframe
5=shaded
6=texture showing
7=texture showing with your own ligting

sorry.. ima total noob too.. so i only so much.

# 5 24-04-2005 , 10:12 AM
Lifetime Member
Maya can use textures whether on dvd or HD,but it's not a good idea to leave files on the dvd anyhow since maya will look for the files from the path that you originally set the file texture from and if your scene relies on files that are not in the dvdrom then the scene will not work correctly.
The first thing to do is set up a project in Maya by going to file/project/new,name your project at the top and then click on use default settings at the bottom and except the project.Now you have created a project, set the project as your current project by going to file/project/set and browsing to the project you just created.
Now you have a perminant place to keep the files and everytime you load the project all the files required will be in your project folders.Move your image files from the dvd to the source Images folder in your new project.
OK in hypershade find the texture node you want to change and select it , then middle mouse drag the texture node (i.e Lambert) to the work area of the hypershade (the bottom wondow) you can graph the network by left clicking on the down arrow at the bottom of the texture and dragging down before releasing the mouse.In the network of the texture file, select file node that imputs into the colour of the texture then double click it to bring up the attribute editor and you will see next to image name a file path to your current texture , but if you click on the little folder icon you can browse to your new file in your source images folder and change to the image you need.
If you do not have an existing texture, simply create one in hypershade by double clicking on a texture node in the create texture window ( this new file will not have a network to graph).
To get an image onto the new file double click on it to bring up the Attribute Editor then next to the color click on the checkered box.In the create render node window that pops up select file and then you will see in the attribute editor that next to image name you can browse to your new image to place on your texture.

Finally , I personally have problems sometimes getting .tiff files to load in Maya and if this happens I simply take the images into Photoshop and convert them to Targa or Jpeg.

Hope this helps regards J.S

# 6 24-04-2005 , 11:58 AM
Thanks a lot, I will try all of that. I see what you guys are saying, sounds like it will work. I wish i didn't have to go to all the trouble for each scene, cause some have a bunch of textures. Oh well, but thanks lot, huge help.
And yeah J.S. they are .tiff files, so what you said about them being troublesome to open seems true.

The other thing I noticed might be a mistake on alias' part. On one DVD, the texture files are not included on the DVD. If you explore the DVD it just says, Lesson 1...ect, and the Scene. No texture files are actually present on the DVD. And when the error message says it can't find it, it says the file path is like desktop/bobgundu (he is the guy who did the tutorial) /.... So it seems alias was just using them off his desktop, which obviously my computer can't browse.
Thanks

David

Last edited by Noradul; 24-04-2005 at 12:00 PM.