Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 10-01-2003 , 05:14 PM

No Artisitic Talent

Hi

I am a programmer by profession (web development to be more precise), I have used Photoshop etc and i can do odds and bits

But i have the artistic talent of an blind Rhino, ie virtually none

I have been having a look at these boards for a while now

My questions is

Can artisitc talent be picked up ?

Can you use Maya without it, ie just learn the Application

I know it takes time to be good at anything , even at programming im into my 3rd year of my job and even now i can come across stuff i dont know so its the same of Maya i guess

I know my questions sounds stupid, but if u dont ask you never know

Waseem

# 2 10-01-2003 , 05:23 PM
I think artisitc talent can be picked up. The most importan "skill" in arts is the ability to see and understand what you see. Everything else comes with practise. The button pushing can be learned from docs, tutorials, books, here, etc user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 10-01-2003 , 05:56 PM
Waseem, that's not a stupid question. I know a lot of amazing 3D artist that have no art back ground at all they just really pushed them selves to learn 3D.

Anything can be picked up if you put the time and effort into learning the software...

My best advise would be to start trying to teach your self how to see things like an artist can by drawing or sculpting even if they are doodels. By doing that you will teach your eyes to see how objects are formed, look at the lines the objects make weather its a chair or a person. Also read everything you can... and practise, practise....

Best of luck

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 10-01-2003 , 07:01 PM
hi this is a very good question and it is one that I beat myself up over all the time! I too am from a programming background (Computer Science) and i am now doing a Masters Degree in computer animation which has a large Maya element to it.

I always worry about whether or not my art is good enough, however as one of my lecturers said to me (Albeit a technically minded one (he writes renderman comatible renderers for a living for gods sake!! user added image)) Don't try and be what you're not. E.g. if you're not a artist then don't try and take on the people that are. There are so many aspects of computer graphics for the technical people to excel in e.g. MEL scripting in maya.

If you want to learn a technical / programming based modelling tool I suggest Houdini. It is all based around expressions and programming your own nodes. You dont even have to drag vertices around or do anything visually. You can do it all through setting paramtres etc. You can get some amazing effects! e.g. the fireworks scene at the beginning of LOTR: Fellowship of the ring was done in Houdini. Also I think the glow effects on the Vampires in Blade 2 was also done in Houdini (but don't quote me on that!). You can download a personal learning edition for free from https://www.sidefx.com/

So IMHO don't worry about trying to be all artistic leave it to the people who are really good at it. Use your strengths and see what happens. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't try maya, it's a great program that can be very rewarding but dont rush out and buy it before you think carefully about what it can offer you. I'm in the lucky position of my uni having both Maya and Houdini for me to use (And some bad ass machines to run them on! user added image)

I hope this has been of some help.
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 11-01-2003 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber
Personally, I think talent cannot be picked up. Skill can, but I feel talent is something you are born with, but you do develope it as life goes along. Are you completely sure that you don't have any artistic talent? Maybe you just haven't applied yourself. EVERYBODY has some talent, some more than others. I consider myself to have moderate talent which is great for computer graphics but not so great for traditional art. You'll be fine. Just give it a chance. user added image

- Chris L. Harkins -
# 6 11-01-2003 , 12:16 AM
i suck at art (if you consider art drawing pictures artuser added image).. but i do have fun drawing! i draw dumb things like hotdogs with a face, arms and legs. and bugs with human type features, and just goofy looking things in general:o. Im still learning the basics of maya, but im like 99% sure that i can draw in 3d much better then in 2d.

but whatever, part of my point is.. Do what you have fun doing. Start fooling around with maya a little, watch some training videos, and do some tutorials. Dont even worry if your work is visually pleasing. if you dont like doing it, then dont do it. if you like doing it, than do it. simple as that!

# 7 11-01-2003 , 01:30 AM
Everyone here has put forth some great suggestions and comments.

I will emphasis one thing: Do what you like to do. It doesn't really matter if you're "good" at it (completely relative). What's important is that you enjoy what you're doing. Period. If you don't enjoy it, then what's the point?

If you can, try to take some basic drawing classes. They'll teach you foundation visualization and sketching skills and also how to analyze things visually. At the very least, it'll help you learn and understand art-speak, so that you can communicate with 3D artists in this community and others more easily.

Best of luck on your endeavor to learn Maya. And welcome to SM! user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 8 11-01-2003 , 07:01 AM
There's plenty of room for people with more of a programming background in the industry. I can't draw my way out of a paper bag, but I'm regarded by my colleagues (many of whom I hold in awe) as having a pretty good eye.

Taking a drawing or painting class can be a great help even if you are forever ashamed to show anyone else your drawings. The reason is that it helps you learn to see what things really *look like*. Taking such a class doesn't mean that you feel you're headed for drawing for a living.

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com
# 9 13-01-2003 , 03:16 PM
Subscriber
Everyone in the whole world has acreative side to their being wether it be writing, playing an instrument or being a rocket sicentist.U just have to practise your drawing it just takes time.But then Using a computer programme like Maya or pshop u just need to have good ideas so dont worry .....Im pretty good a drawing but crap with Maya