Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-09-2012 , 08:48 PM
Subscriber

Maya 2013 error msg

Hello All,
I hate to have my first post be a technical issue but unfortunately none of my classmates have been able to see me through this issue. What's happening is that every time I open a scene in Maya I get a strange Stack Trace error message. Soon as I open the file, a display box appears and says:

"Invalid negative index used to reference array "$gRelatedNodes".
Start of trace: (file: /Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2013/scripts/showEditor.mel, line 2008).
AEbuildControls (command window: line 1)."

I also can't seem to open the Attribute Editor inside Maya. Whenever I go to open it, the Stack Trace error msg that appears reads:

"Cannot find procedure "AEsetDisplayToEmpty".
Start of trace: (file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2013/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/others/updateAE.mel, line 504).AEsetDisplayToEmpty (file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2013/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/others/updateAE.mel, line 504).
updateAE (file: /Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2013/scripts/showEditor.mel, line 2804).
autoUpdateAttrEd (command window: line 1)."

I've attached both images below. The first is for the opening of the Maya scene and the second is for the Attribute Editor.

Version of Maya: 2013
System Specs: Macbook Pro 10.7.4

Thanks guys/gals!

Attached Images
# 2 25-09-2012 , 12:45 AM
Technical Director
This looks like a corrupted install to me, but you can try this before you take the giant leap of re-installing it: Try deleting your preferences folder. Note: This will delete your shelves, hotkeys, preferences, etc; so make a backup!

Back up, and delete "~/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2013-x64"

Now, re-open Maya, and if it asks you to import previous settings, click no. Check if it works now. If it does, great! You can rebuild your preferences (don't copy the whole folder over though, as you might hit the same problem). If the issue persists, copy the folder back, and let us know.

Best of luck.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 25-09-2012 , 01:28 AM
Subscriber

This looks like a corrupted install to me, but you can try this before you take the giant leap of re-installing it: Try deleting your preferences folder. Note: This will delete your shelves, hotkeys, preferences, etc; so make a backup!

Back up, and delete "~/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2013-x64"

Now, re-open Maya, and if it asks you to import previous settings, click no. Check if it works now. If it does, great! You can rebuild your preferences (don't copy the whole folder over though, as you might hit the same problem). If the issue persists, copy the folder back, and let us know.

Best of luck.

I actually did this and got the stack trace error removed when I open the application. The other issue was with the Attribute Error. Found out that this problem was directly related to the Turtle plug in. So, I got a hotfix for Turtle on the autodesk site and now things appear to be working smoothly.

# 4 30-09-2012 , 05:10 AM
I am having the same issue with the attributes menu and i downloaded the turtle fix however i not sure what to do with it now that i downloaded it. Is it supposed to just work now ? Or is there an extra step i am missing?

# 5 30-09-2012 , 05:48 AM
Technical Director

I am having the same issue with the attributes menu and i downloaded the turtle fix however i not sure what to do with it now that i downloaded it. Is it supposed to just work now ? Or is there an extra step i am missing?

Did you install it?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.