Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 08-05-2005 , 05:22 PM
Subscriber

Another Guitar Project

Hi everybody. Its me again, I have re evaluated my work ethics (sorda) and have to decided to redo my tom delonge guitar project and finish through............................BURP! But anyways, I think I have progressed alot since my other project and am determined to finish this one, and on top of that I have upgraded from PLE to an actual MAYA version. YESSSSS! But the little time I have spent on the project and I have already come to a problem, It has to do with the curves. I read on the modeling guitar thread that the best way to model the body of the guitar is to draw a curve line out of the body (which I have done) but when I try to use the open/close curve command so I can use the Bevel plus to make the body I end of with this. It may seem like a good shape for my body but I get these weird little parts where the geometry intersect. PLEASE HELP.

THIS IS A PIC OF MY CURVE.

Attached Images

Last edited by alienscience; 08-05-2005 at 05:46 PM.
# 2 08-05-2005 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber
This is my problem when I use Open/Close curve (I select ignore under the extra options for open/close)

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 11-05-2005 , 05:00 PM
Subscriber

Curve problem

Is the curve made from 2 duplicated curves attached?
If so, then you need to reverse the direction of 1 of the curves before attaching THEN bevel it as far as I know.

Regards Scraggy

# 4 11-05-2005 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
Hey, thanks for the help, but it is one single curve. And I get the geometry from the curve when I select open/close curves, I cant even get to the bevel plus without this problem.

# 5 12-05-2005 , 02:17 AM
Subscriber

?

Any chance of a lower view shot so i can clearer see what looks like "twists"
And how have you built it so far...

To help me help u Scrag

# 6 12-05-2005 , 11:21 AM
Subscriber
Do you want a lower view AFTER I open/close them? If so I can do it tonight, have to go to school soon. But I will just edit this post.

Edit:Crap, you cant put in a pic for an edit if you didnt already have one, lol. Sorry

Just putting these links up for a school project so I can get it at home.

https://www.city.toronto.on.ca/

https://www.math.toronto.edu/toronto/

Last edited by alienscience; 12-05-2005 at 04:16 PM.
# 7 12-05-2005 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
Hmm,
So If I understand you correctly, then you are saying that the geometry just appears out of nowhere when you close your curve?
Like before you even apply another tool?

Scrag.

# 8 13-05-2005 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
Exactly what I mean, sorda weird. I think i will try to re create a curve outline again and see what happens next. I might have deleted history or undone to many times. But still I dont understand where I went wrong. Ill post a pic of the new curve after it has been open/close.

# 9 13-05-2005 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber
Ok I have now redone the curve and open/closed it and it work perfectly fine. But now when I do the bevel plus I get this. What am I doing wrong?

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 13-05-2005 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber
Hi,
I'm not that sure really, looks very strange but looks as though something like a c.v. or two got moved out of position somehow, and is trying to connect up to that point then back... Look at the end of the "spike" see if there is a c.v. or more that may be missing from your curve.

Scraggy..

# 11 13-05-2005 , 11:03 PM
Subscriber
OK, im going to edit this post just to save space. I just wanted to say that I have redone the curve completely again and open and closed it with no problems. Then I decided to use loft for the body, I set the poly count to 500 and used fill hole to fill in the top and bottom of the body. I have a question though, it is about texturing, is it better to have more faces on a peice of geometry, does it make the textures look better? Because the part where I filled the hole only has one face in it. Ill post a pic on the body and the wire, along with what happens when I subdivide the one face.

Last edited by alienscience; 14-05-2005 at 01:03 AM.
# 12 14-05-2005 , 01:11 AM
Subscriber

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 14-05-2005 , 02:02 PM
Subscriber

Noob attempts answer.

Hiya,
Glad you got it sorted out, and it's looking 'mighty fine'
Good work! As for the texturing, I'm not 100% sure of the answer, but 'I would have thought' that its not the number of 'faces' on your poly that will make a difference, only the 'resolution' of the texture applied to the region.
However I may be completely wrong, so I would like to see other comments on here so we both 'know' the answer.
(I'm sure I saw a similar thread recently, I will go have a look)

Regards Scraggy

# 14 15-05-2005 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber
Hey scraggy, thanks alot for the help. I really respect the compliment, thats probably the first one I have ever gotten :sad:. But atleast I got one user added image So now I have moved onto the headstock, i am in the process of getting photoshop so I think it might be a while before I get to texturing. But so far I have made the headstock basically the same way as the body, ill post a pic of it. Ill also post a pic of the real guitar also.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 16-05-2005 , 03:28 PM
Simply Maya OG
On your first attempt, it looks like you had the Bevel Plus options off. Try lowering the "Bevel Width" option. You dont have to close/open the curve, as long as the very last vert you laid out is snapped the the very first vert. Just use vert-snapping, and you should be fine. Hotkey is the "v" key. When I made my guitar, I used the Bevel Plus for both the body and the headstock. It gives them those nice slightly rounded edges. Just a suggestion. user added image

- Hybrid