Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 06-06-2007 , 06:01 AM
Oh ok, ill try that! But do you have any suggestions on how to make the lantern glow? I tried putting a point light inside which didnt work, i attempted to put a glow effect on the texture to no avail, and placed 4 point lights surrounding the lantern which still didnt work. How would I go in doing this?

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 17 07-06-2007 , 02:09 AM
A few updates

Attached Thumbnails

# 18 07-06-2007 , 03:53 AM
Jr.Who
About the lantern glow, you could try putting some fire dynamics in there.

# 19 07-06-2007 , 09:29 AM
Subscriber
As far as the lantern glow goes...I have to be honest I dunno!
But I'm sure there are other ppl who definatly would. MtMcKinley, Chris, Kurt etc.
Maybe check on another dedicated forum like light or rendering...

As for the painting...
i know ppl where shorter in that period but this must be a midget room, hanging the painting so low! Heheehhehehe
Imho hang it a tit higher bro!

Excellent work on the clock though.

Maybe the pipe could be a lill less flat, bit rounder on the head (where the tobacco goes)

gr
M

too_tough_to_die@mac.com (AIM)
Always up for a chat !
# 20 07-06-2007 , 11:53 AM
Adding fire dynamics to it wouldnt do much at all other than look strange, plus you still would get a dodgy glow to the lantern.

What youve got to remember is that glow is applied in post therefore, its applied by maya after its completed the render and would go ontop of everything.

What you might want to look at doing is set up a light inside the lantern that will cast light and shadows onto the surrounding objects, and then render in layers (with "black holes" to mask objects) with a glow applied in post (say in photoshop) using the layers to set up the glow behind the hat, and the opcaity you can tweek the glow and lighting to get a nice warm feel to light given off by the lantern.

edit -

Come to think of it, I think that the free compositing tutorial on here goes over creating rendering layers and compositing them with real footage of a flame, might be worth a look to get what I mean if your a bit confused.

I forgot to say that your scene's looking great at the moment, a bit of dirt to things via layered shaders should look realyl good once you get everything down.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 07-06-2007 at 01:47 PM.
# 21 07-06-2007 , 05:51 PM
Good selection of items you've got going on there. I don't have Photoshop but I do know there's a burn tool (I'm sure you know that already). Perhaps you could try using it on the inside and rim of the pipe to give it that used look.

So this scene is a result of you taking a short break from another project to create the lantern? Cool.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 22 07-06-2007 , 11:46 PM
Ive taken some of your advice and higher d the picture frame, added a window, and attempted to use photoshop to illumate the lantern. Ill proabably be using that tutorial to learn render layers, but id like to know how you like it! Thanks for the compliments, they are very appreciated! And yes, the character from my previous post was starting to piss me off with this retarded legs so im taking a week break and will start back up on it soon!EDIT: In the meantime ill still be working on this project, sorry for confusion:p
user added image

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 08-06-2007 at 02:51 PM.
# 23 08-06-2007 , 09:18 AM
Subscriber

Good job dude

We're getting somewhere!
Nice job.

Talk when you're back!
GR
M

too_tough_to_die@mac.com (AIM)
Always up for a chat !
# 24 11-06-2007 , 06:23 PM
Is there anything you guys think I should add or fix on this project? Im going away to arizona for a week and will be back on wednesday, but id love to hear your suggestions.
And thank you Cut the Krab!