Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-08-2007 , 04:21 PM

CV Curve tool problem

Hello people.

Im having problems with a tutorial that im following out of the: INTRODUCING MAYA 8, 3D FOR BEGINNERS book by Dariush Derakhshani.

Ive created a CV curve:

user added image

And applied the options as the book says:

user added image

But I get a wider object than I wish to have:
https://www.thelawnetwork.co.uk/maya/...tive_after.jpg

.... the object is supposed to be a chimney on top of the train.
(It needs rotating to fit on the train).

Can any1 help me please? user added image

# 2 01-08-2007 , 04:50 PM
Jr.Who
Did you try revolving it around a different axis? user added image

# 3 01-08-2007 , 06:40 PM
Thanx for reply, tried it in every axis, does the same or worst.
Any other thoughts?

Below are the steps directly from the book...

Finishing the Boiler
The fun parts of a steam locomotive are all the chimneys on top of the boiler. To create the main steam chimney with a revolve surface, follow these steps:
1. You will need to draw a profile curve for the smoke stack/chimney. Choose Create > CV Curve Tool O. In the option box, set Curve Degree to 1 Linear. This will allow you to create straight curves. In the top view panel, start from the bottom and lay down CVs similar to those shown in Figure 4.30. Press Enter when you finish. Make sure to reset the options to the defaults when you're done.
2. This profile curve should now be about five units tall in the z-axis in the top view panel and have its pivot point at the origin. Enter the Surfaces menu set, select the curve and choose Surfaces > Revolve >. Change Axis Preset to Z. Also, at the bottom of the window, change Output Geometry to Polygons. We will not create a NURBS surface as we did before with the boiler cap, but this time go for a poly revolve. Change Type from Triangles to Quads. This will create polygon faces that are rectangular as opposed to triangular. Under Tessellation Method, select Standard Fit. Click Revolve and you will have a chimney similar to the one shown in Figure 4.31. You may need to orient the chimney to fit the boiler properly if it is lying flat.
3. Delete the history by selecting the chimney and choosing Edit > Delete By Type History. Place the chimney as shown in Figure 4.31. You can move the vertices at the bottom of the chimney to fit it to the round engine boiler as shown. You can also set to the Polygons menu set.

Last edited by keljnr; 01-08-2007 at 06:47 PM.
# 4 01-08-2007 , 06:51 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by keljnr
1. You will need to draw a profile curve for the smoke stack/chimney. Choose Create > CV Curve Tool O. In the option box, set Curve Degree to 1 Linear. This will allow you to create straight curves.

Try selecting Linear instead of Cubic. user added image

# 5 01-08-2007 , 06:52 PM
Lifetime Member
I would think your pivot point is off so select the curve and change to the move tool then hit the ins key (insert) on the number pad and move the pivot point to half the diameter of the chiney (radius) then hit ins again to complete the moving of the pivot.Finally perform the revolve.

What you most likely did was draw the curve too far away from the origin line.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 01-08-2007 at 06:54 PM.
# 6 02-08-2007 , 02:52 PM
Thanks guys! :bow:

jsprogg was right, thanx very much... I can continue with the rest of the tutorial now.

There maybe a few other posts on this book before I finish it... I apologise in advanced.