Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-07-2005 , 08:39 PM

Cartoon Dog by kurt...

I started using Maya a few days ago and I found this site and decided to try and make the “cartoon dog” by Kurt Boutilier. Now the 1st problem I encountered was that when I created the Nurbs Sphere and applied the “control vertex” option on it, I couldn’t select the little molding dots…so I decided to put the sphere and all the other objects(except the Plane that has the picture of the dog) in another layer. It worked and I started creating my dog.

The 2nd problem I encountered was in the 3rd video, where you convert the nurbs to polygons. I converted my Nurbs to Polygons for the head and neck…and when Kurt selects the Polygon converted neck and presses <enter> his neck model has the “lines” turn to a black color then he does the same with the head and applies the “Booleans Union” function and his model does what its supposed to. My problem was that when I hit <enter> after selecting the neck nothing happened…I hit <enter> after selecting the head and nothing happened…I clicked the “Booleans Union” action and I get a message at the bottom saying “two items must be selected” so I tried again…this time selecting the head, holding shift, selecting the neck and hitting the “Booleans Union” and poof. My neck and head disappear/ become invisible. I then go to the “display-> show all” and everything shows up except the head and neck…

I hope I made it clear enough…has anyone encountered this problem…does it have anything to do with me adding the 2nd layer???

# 2 11-07-2005 , 06:55 AM
hey!

i had the same problem, that nothing happened when i used <enter>. actually it should work the way you tried (at least it worked for me...). try again and be aware that both polygons intersect properly. i think in the last part of the tutorial kurt has the same problem...and explains it like that.

hope it helps...

# 3 11-07-2005 , 07:45 AM
yes!!! it worked...i had to do it the long way but at least it works...oo and just a question when u go to your <edit polygons->merge verticies> options tab...what # do you see in the <distance> space...mine was deafault at 0.000001 and it didn't work, so i changed it to 1 and worked just fine.

# 4 11-07-2005 , 09:36 AM
funny, i had exactly the same problems... i also solved the problem like you did. i increased the value (don´t know it exactly) and it worked.

# 5 11-07-2005 , 05:28 PM
nice...well thanks for your reply and hopefully ill finish my dog now without any more problems!!!