Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-09-2004 , 02:10 AM

Problem with Light effects - any advice?

I would have thought it'd be an easy task to make all four key lights of my scene have a glow to them. I've been trying for ages to get it happening though and it's unbelievably difficult.

First of all, when I set one light up and duplicate it, the light glow doesn't transfer with it - fair enough, but when I try to add new light glows to the other lights it often doesn't work, and instead I get a big list of light glows in hypershade that are disconnected and useless.

I've never had a successful render with all four glows - is there an easy solution for this?

All I want is to use the same light-glow node for all four lights. Can this be done?

THanks
-
ph

I consist of mostly water.
# 2 28-09-2004 , 03:05 AM
Subscriber
not sure what you meen buy light glow. could be my inxpirance with lots of difrent light situations.. Don't know if there is a way to fix this but a work around would be to composit them.

# 3 28-09-2004 , 08:43 AM
I agree with pony about doing it in post. If you do it in the render you are stuck with it (barring a re-render). Where as if you just render the light or a sphere or something to represent the light and then blur the hell out of it and make it brighter in comp (which is what a blur essetially is!) then you can tweak and control it without re-rendering.

As for duplicating the lights and keeping the glow you would need to turn on "Duplicate input connections" in the duplicate options. But I think this would mean they all had the same glow attached to them. Try it.

And if that fails, why not do one and write down exactly what you did and then follow your instructions for the rest of the lights? You can even open the hypergraph and look at the connections it makes for the one light that does work and then copy the connections on the unconnected nodes...

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB