Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 29-01-2007 , 06:14 PM

a modling request

I was wondering if someone could model a simple city for me. I cant model much at all... I want it for a animation I want to try todo. The city doesen't have to be too big just a few buildings, but the buildings have to be kinda skyscraper like, like Washington DC or NY. It would be nice if you had textures but i think i will be able to put them on. I also need a cool looking person but i can probably find a good one to download somewhere. I dont need it any time soon, but preferable before June but if its after i don't really care.

You will get full credit for your model and ill show you the finished animation.

# 2 29-01-2007 , 06:26 PM
Senior Software Developer
Sounds like another Uni or College project...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 29-01-2007 , 06:34 PM
actually no, its just that I want to learn animation on my own and I've done some a little character animations but i really want to do something bigger and what i have in mind is simple that i can do it but really cool...i hope. so the city doesn't have to be that amazing just good enough..

# 4 29-01-2007 , 06:38 PM
You could just make some very simple cubes and assign textures to them, it shouldent be thathard to be honest, then add some planes with a cityscape to them. that should do it for ya..

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 30-01-2007 , 02:16 PM
Well, i dont want it to be that simple...and the city doesent have to be big i just need like 8 buildings in it, if anyone has enough free time tell me and i will email you or whatever the plan.

# 6 30-01-2007 , 04:35 PM
you could have used the time you spent posting the forums to make your city, and it would have already been done... give up your social life for a day and get modeling!

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 30-01-2007 , 11:25 PM
Subscriber
That's the point NeoStrider, i agree with you! user added image

Galadiel

# 8 02-02-2007 , 07:15 AM
I've tried, its why i started this thread, but it wasent as good as i liked so i thought i could ask if someone could help or do it for me.... Which someone from another forum offered to do...

# 9 02-02-2007 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber
Well let him then... user added image

I've got to say if you can't model a building, I don't know how you're going to manage to UV map / texture or animate anything. They are all harder than modelling a skyscraper or two.

# 10 06-02-2007 , 08:23 PM
1) Create a polygon plane

2) Leave it at 10x10 grid, but scale it up from 1 to 50

3) Select some faces

4) Extrude away

Attached image = 5 minutes, tops

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 11-02-2007 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber
I made this city for one of my early cel shaded fliks but now its abandoned so if u want it let me know:
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 12 13-02-2007 , 03:37 AM
Subscriber
o completely forgot about this also. the visor actually has a brush for city meshes lol.

# 13 23-02-2007 , 07:50 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by petrol
I've got to say if you can't model a building, I don't know how you're going to manage to UV map / texture or animate anything. They are all harder than modelling a skyscraper or two.

yeah im in your boat petrol, totally agree with you...

not to attack you in anway but ehh i dont get it, you want to redo an animation that you have already done, but ... you cant model a simple building? sounds to me like a uni project what chris said before though i might be wrong ....

[BTW "severinianthony" PLEASE watch your image size! user added image]

Last edited by marlonjohn; 23-02-2007 at 07:53 AM.
# 14 04-03-2007 , 08:00 PM
I have to say something. No offence but you cant make some simple buildings, extruding or scaling a simple cube is like one of the first things you learn. Good look animating a your character though, i cant even make one walk properly even though i can make buildings quite well.