Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-11-2007 , 04:29 AM
Subscriber

Texturing problems, please help

Hi everyone,

Recently I have been reading ‘The Game Artist’s Guide to Maya’ in order to refresh my skills in modelling characters. So far I have found the book to be a great help and I have leant a few extra skills along the way.
Anyway upon completing the UV texture map with the textures now applied to the character model I have come across a difficult problem which I cannot understand. For the head I have textured one half of the head and duplicated the other half, once this was done I combined the two half’s and merged the vertices.

Once this was done I wanted to take a look at the high quality render (Shading> high quality rendering), but as you can see from the pictures my characters face has a slight mismatch in the textures.
user added image

Please if Mr McKinley or anyone could help it would be most
appreciated.

Thanks guys

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-11-2007 , 08:37 AM
Subscriber
well. first check a true render. just in case.

secondly if your texture seem directly runs over the face i would reconsider that decision and maybe put it on the back of the head where nobody can see it...

thirdly i never approached it that way but whenever you lay out your UVs and edit them - what you did - it always messes them up. so check them again...

hope this helps.

# 3 19-11-2007 , 03:50 PM
19 year Veteran
You should have duplicated and sewn your head texture together in the UV editor, and you should have merged edges on the 2 halves on your physical head, not the verts.

Hope that helpes out.

# 4 19-11-2007 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber
hey ... why the edges and not the verts???

# 5 19-11-2007 , 07:20 PM
19 year Veteran
Because you will have a visible seam on the model if you only merge verts, and it will still look like 2 seperate parts reguardless if it has been combined, and it's not a smart way to handle the issue. Fixing mesh problems is what merging verts are better suited for.

# 6 20-11-2007 , 02:31 AM
Subscriber
First of all I would like to thank you guys for spending the time to reply to my thread and thanks for your helpful advice.
When creating a characters UV map for the head I believe that the best method is to have the seams running down the back of the head, it makes thing less confusing.

Like this guys UV map below.. https://www.harshcg.com/mai.html

Attached Images
# 7 20-11-2007 , 02:43 AM
Subscriber
I was following Michael Mckinley’s book , I wanted to try and follow in his footsteps has an exercise, until I have came across the render problem.

Tonight I will try sowing the head together in the UV map editor and see if it will work.

I will keep you posted

Thanks guys

Below is Michael Mckinley work:

:bow:

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 20-11-2007 , 10:36 AM
19 year Veteran
Your welcome Anthonytony, glad I could be of some help! user added image BTW, your a good texture artist!