Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-12-2004 , 05:38 PM
Subscriber

wierd lights - please help!

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me with this problem:

I have a scene with a house (of sorts) in it, and I'm using "Special Effect - Glow" on a blinn for simulating light coming out the windows. It works fine sometimes, however when the windows are viewed at certain angles, the light seems to go crazy and be way too brigt. The following two images are from the exact same scene, no difference in any settings except for the viewing angle.

Image one: strange lights!
user added image

Image two: exact same settings, but viewed from another angle where everything´s fine
user added image

Any help would be appreciated.

And finally, the settings I´m using for my window blinn, if that´s any help..

user added image

cheers, MixX...

# 2 08-12-2004 , 12:21 PM
it's probably because glows are a post effect in the render. What you should do is render out the windows seperately and then fix the glows in the comp. You'll get better results that you can tweak without having to re-render.

:bandit:
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 08-12-2004 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
I should probably have said that it's for an animation that is going to be 1000+ frames, editing each frame individually is impossible I'm afraid, which is what you´re suggesting, right?

I've been trying a lot of stuff with these windows, but in the end it seems that no matter what, at certain angles, the glow goes crazy.. sigh.. thanks for the help anyway user added image

# 4 08-12-2004 , 02:08 PM
i had the same problem in something i did a while ago, i used that kinda thing for booster engines on a rocket... however I didn't fix it cos it turned out it looked frikkin' awesome cos it was at the exact right angle when the rocket took off and it looked like it had put a VVVVVVRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM into the engine so it could take off user added image

sorry not much help... i know that when more than one light appears in the scene at first it is very bright, then it calms down... try in your animation to leave 10-15 frames before it starts rendering them so it can calm down a bit.

# 5 08-12-2004 , 02:43 PM
well no you do one frame and then that will pass through to the others, I'm not talking about using photoshop I'm talking about a proper compositing package like shake or after effects.

But if you want to fix it in the render go ahead, my way is better thopugh :p
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 08-12-2004 , 02:49 PM
Subscriber
I'm sure your way is better, but unfortunately I don't have access to any of those apps (my school doesn't have it, which is where I use Maya).

Thanks for the help & advice, I'm going to try some of it (the load-in-render) though I don't think it's going to help (since the place where it glows too much isn´t at the start).

Hope I didn't sound ungrateful or anything, I appreciate it!

cheers,
MixX