Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 03-03-2004 , 10:18 PM
That is the word and I toured it. There was a conference that I worked here in phoenix that was held at the UAT campus. The director talked about the courses. Len Simon and a few other animator from projects like Titan AE and Dinosaur came and talked. Everyone said how important the traditional Art side was but UAT said they do not teach that. They get you mostly on the computer.

AIPX is very expensive. I am almost imbarrest to say how much I am paying but if I did not transfer in many courses (which was a fight) it is around 60 K. One thing you have to remember when you look at work coming out of there is that they do not require a portfolio showing to get in. I have seen some great work come out and some not so great. From talking to a lot of people this is the best school for the area. There are other schools I would pick before AIPX is I knew I had to travel. One thing you can do is call the studios and ask them where they do there head hunting. Get a portfolio together and the best schools not always but usually will require one. Collins college is here and requires one but lets say that everyone I asked felt it had less than a shining reputation. It tended to just push everyone through.

I did a lot of research and I recomend you do the same. This will be then next three or more years of your life. That deploma will not get you a job at all. The demo and how much you learned will. Treat every project like you nead it for you porfolio. You will never know which will come out the best. 60K is also a smaller figure than it will cost you. The books and Art supplies will add up quickly. So will living expenses.

# 17 04-03-2004 , 05:33 AM
Boy Rick, it feels like I have my own college counseler now, haha. I don't know how worried I am about learning traditional art. Thruought my experience in modeling and whatnot, I've never really had a hand at anything 2d at all, but when I get my hands on some 3d material, my imagination just kinda starts to churn. I guess my mind got screwed up when I smashed into the floor getting out of bed, because after I worked 3d for awhile, my 2d skills started getting better. I don't know if I just havn't gotten far enough into it to really see the difference or if I just learn different. Either way, some reps from UAT are calling me tommorow and we're gonna talk it up. I'll inquire them as to your statements. The lack of portfolio required threw me off to. Kinda makes me mad that some idiot who thinks its gonna be a cakewalk is gonna be buggin me for help the whole year because he's gonna be sitting next to me and not know how to do anything cuz he didn't know what he got himself into. We get a lot of those in high school. If you see Psuedo Realizm anywhere in here, he knows to. Crazy kids. Thanks Bro!

I Can't Understand What I'm Thinking
# 18 04-03-2004 , 05:20 PM
Haha, I am far from a counselers. Most Counselers are salesman so remember that. Take waht they say with a grain of salt. There are many articles out there on what the industry is looking for. I would maybe also call a few places and talk to someone in HR. Tell them you are thinking about going to an Art school and what are the most important things I should learn. Now you know what you should learn and have some ammo to ask questions. Do not let them lead you. They are very good at that.

If you are thinking about traveling, two schools I would also look into are Gnoman in hollywood or Centery City (not sure which) and Academy of Art in SAn Fran. Closer to the action the school is the better the connections are. I toured both and I was very impressed with Gnoman. UAT does still have the best of the bunch in equipment. Unlimited games. There is a straw hut bar were all the computers are linked to play whatever games you want. They have a large projection TV you can hook the X box or PS2 up to. Well AIPX also has UT on all the computers that are all networked so you can play online antime you want to. Just do not get caught doing it during class. Phoenix is a lot cheaper to live that LA. The less you have to work and the more time you put into your school the better.

For traditional it is important to be able to visually comunicate Ideas like concept sketchs and such. Everyone I have ever asked that is in the industry say that drawing is one of the most important skills to have but it is not always neccessary. The computer is another tool like a pencil. I have seen people who can make things photoreal with a pencil. Everyone knows how to use them and if you look close at there drawings there really is nothing magical about it. I am not saying you should be able to make thing photoreal with one but being able to use whatever tool is put infront of you is very important.

I know about the idiot thing believe me. There are a couple of them in school. One that I have watch rip off work and call it his own. He sucks and then all of a sudden he comes in with something awsome in the middle of crap. He put Yuna from FF in his last project and everyone knew it. He got busted and i think he is on the verge of getting kicked out. Kicked out after thousands of dollars spent. Now that is dumb. OK, enough of a book.

# 19 04-03-2004 , 05:53 PM
hahah, its good to see some justice in the world today! ironically enough, im sitting in the same class full of fools, im sure one of em will look over and see this, and i shall be ready! yah, i know about the counselers, I've had enough of their speaches already, theyre almost as bad as the marines.

I'd head over to LA or hollywood schooling without a doubt in my mind if it wasn't for the cost of living. My parents have pretty much told me I don't need to get a job if I do all my schoolwork, so they're gonna pay for everything, which is cool, but limits my options. That is what is probably gonna throw me off of Vancouver, cost of living up there is a lot more than Tempeuser added image.

I still got a couple months before my final decision, so I'm not too worried yet, this little thread has given me quite a bit of insight into the matter though, so I appreciate everyones help, but that doesn't mean quit posting :-D

# 20 04-03-2004 , 05:57 PM
One thing about Tempe, not Art school, but tempe is the women are incredable and the weather is great. I grew up in Southern California and I am telling you the women here are almost as good but a lot more down to earth.user added image

# 21 04-03-2004 , 06:02 PM
One more thing, You are very lucky to have parents who will do that. I am working 30 hours a week and my parents are helping me with the rest. I am 28 so I have picked up to many bills along the way. Take advantage of it. If you want to move here I seriously would recommend AIPX first and foremost. I did a lot of research to come up with this one. Look at UAT but also look at AIPX. Not all Art Institues are the same. All the animations schools in phoenix are about the same price.

# 22 04-03-2004 , 11:36 PM
alrighty, thanks a lot Rick! AIPX sounds like a sweet deal, I'm gonna have to check it out. The big thing right now is if I'm going far I have to get room and board plus tuition, and UAT has a pretty sweet dorm-style setup to offer. But hey, maybe I'll end up going to AIPX and see you there, hahah

# 23 05-03-2004 , 05:26 PM
Always remember, it is the demo reel that will define you in the industry.

How you educate yourself is your choice. If someone has 4 years at an art school, and only has mediocre output, then what was really gained?

Be careful of what debt you create for yourself for when you are older. I am self-taught at what I do professionally, and my education is not a factor, seeing I am proficient at what I do, and I make a great living. If you feel you need traditional training, then by all means do it. One could read a book, take some periphery classes, sculpture, buy a paint set, etc... It just seems to me, after observing the industry from the standpoint of wanting to penetrate it one day, that you either mod well, model fast, know someone, and you have to have one heck of a demo reel. Traditional colleges are usually necessary for the absorption of stagnant and finite knowledge and a place for maturity, not largely for pure freedom of expression in art. But if the parents are doing it, go where ever you want.
What am I saying? I don't know. I guess I just have friends in serious debt, and this struck me as sensitive user added image
sorry I rambled

Lungs not guns....

Last edited by strobe7; 05-03-2004 at 05:31 PM.
# 24 05-03-2004 , 07:40 PM
Strobe: don't worry about ramblin. this is a place for everyone's opinions and i love to hear them. When i got into this i had no idea how different the industry was so im still learning. one of the reasons im going to a 4 year is cuz the parental units are pretty much requiring it, which works out for me i suppose. right now im pretty much looking for somewhere that can teach me the software well, so far ive been able to teach myself everything elseuser added image

# 25 07-03-2004 , 08:15 PM
yes, sadly i'm aware of the people who think its best to go slack off in a class and ruin everyone else's learning experiances... but i figure that even though people may not know what to expect in a college inviroment, they may be able to atleast act professional becuase the money is coming out of there pocket books and by all means they dont have to be there if they dont want to be... college life cant be like the movies where everyone slacks off and never does anything and yet is still able to get good grades

AIM: Psuedo Realizm