Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-07-2003 , 10:48 AM
Subscriber

walking on the rope

i am trying to create an elastic rope and a character walk over it. now i want that if one foots sets down, that the rope bends down. and if the foot changes that the other foot moves down the rope and the pressure offirst foot gets released. i only want to animate the position of both feett if possible (and somehow make it possible to release the foot and the rope relaxes and only the other foot influences the rope.

hope that is understandable

my ideas so far:
  • softbody: nay - i need the position where the foots touches to be exact, dont like the overkill to match the position of the foot on single frame basis
  • ik spline: not sure if that works - as i had to animate the curve somehow
  • animate curve points: sounds bloody complicated if i want the rope to be almost same length

please give me any other ideas (which might work) to this problem

thanks

# 2 04-07-2003 , 05:47 PM
i did have a look at this prob but I cant seem to think of anything that mite solve it... I will have a little think and see if I can get anything....

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 04-07-2003 , 05:57 PM
The Maya Mountain
what about a lattice on your rope geometry perhaps?

# 4 04-07-2003 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
thanks mike, a deformer might work. have to play with it and see what i come up with.

# 5 04-07-2003 , 09:26 PM
Subscriber
Hi Babyduck,

I don't know if you can use this tutorial... but it is about animating a rope... a sphere is "rolling" along the rope... maybe you can use some of the things from it... user added image

"How to set up a rope-animation with local gravity"... -->
https://www.boris3d.de/t_rope.html

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 6 05-07-2003 , 08:49 AM
Subscriber
thank you strarup, that is exactly what i was looking for user added image

and yes i can use it for my animation - almost the same way it is. it even allows me to add other forces like a little wind user added image