Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-05-2011 , 03:42 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

April Challenge Winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well its clobbering time again for the challenge!!

There were some really good entries and a fair few participating which was great!! I pretty much stayed away for the whole month so I could be pleasantly surprised by the work - and I was!!! there was some very cool stuff throughout, I dont think I saw a bad thread this weekend looking at the high standard of models -well done to all there!!!

But as ever there is only the one main winner......this time its RockyMills_01. Well done mate!!! Great job!!

Dave, Nilla and myself were in agreement on this one, it simply looks fun and has alot of character in there with those two dudes mate. Great Stuff

If you can PM Nilla for your well deserved prize then Im sure she get that to you asap.

well done to everyone else for entering. I think that Dave will decide on the badges for 2nd and 3rd places too.

Hope to get the may challenge underway very soon

cheers
Jay

# 2 02-05-2011 , 04:36 PM
SM Tea Boy
Second and Third place, which was a difficult call....

Second place tweetytunes technically very good

Third place stwert great entire

We'll announce the new challenge later on today and this time you guys are going to have to go head to head with the Lightwave chaps.

Close call this time guys thanks to everyone who took part.
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 02-05-2011 , 04:46 PM
EduSciVis-er
Hey, congrats RockyMills_01!! Your entry was awesome. My wife picked it as the winner too user added image

# 4 02-05-2011 , 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Gratz Rocky and Neil user added image

Lot's of entries, lots of good stuff.

Let's see what the next challenge brings ^^

- Genny
# 5 02-05-2011 , 05:34 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah grats to tweets and stwert too.

The next challenge is a good one for sure.......

Jay

# 6 02-05-2011 , 06:28 PM
# 7 02-05-2011 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber
Really - I had it so different in my head - me 3rd at the most - I thought stwert was going to be first for sure. Just setup the PC but will be sorting the rest of this model out some point this week.

# 8 02-05-2011 , 09:10 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Really - I had it so different in my head - me 3rd at the most - I thought stwert was going to be first for sure. Just setup the PC but will be sorting the rest of this model out some point this week.

Really?
I Didn't, I also think the criteria of judgement are a bit unclear with this challenge, if I read the challenge outline:
"...I would like to see a new take or look of a game character of your choice that is already out there, you can style it/make it into whatever you like eg: male into female or vice versa, or mechanical into organic or all of the above...Post a pic of the character of your choice that you intend to change.....All models in by end of April ,textured or not, as its the design we are after......Or even using the open gl high quality render setting to show it off in real time would be ideal.."
I don't see this reflected in the judgement, although I really like rocky mills' design and I really think he put the most effort in it , had the sweetest presentation and the best quality render... in my opinion it wasn't the best redesign of an existing game character since it was mostly along the line of the original characters ( in style and so on), don't take me wrong I think it is really high quality work, just not the winner based on the forementioned criteria

For the other final entries:

Chirone:
It was a valiant attempt, I liked the transformation, but imo not a redesign of an existing character, more like a merger of characters

Mastone:
It's hard to say something objective about ones own work, but in short; It was an original take on an existing character, but wasn't really finished the way I would liked to have finished it.

Tweetytunes:
Clear image at the beginning of his thread so everyone knows on what he's basing his 3D work on, but although his work was good ( like the hair) just like Rocky Mills' work, to me at least it didn't feel like a different take on an existing character, more like a different outfit the character stayed more or less the same as the original.

Joey81:
It's clear that it is Wil E Coyote and in his thread a nice start off image , but again no redesign

CG Wolfgang:
As I don't know the Robotrek character it's really hard to judge especially since it's based on sprite based stuff, but I do think it was a really good try to enter and be original especially for one that is ( at least so I think)relative new to 3D.

stwert:
As I said in his thread it is a funny character, but to me it is unclear on what original character he is basing his work(no startimage in his thread), it looks like a worms character, but not really a different take, more a recreation

murambi:
Since God Of War is a fairly recent videogame I think it was really courageous to attempt a different take on already briljant artwork, in the end it fell a bit short but that's not something to be ashamed of.

I know the final judgement is based on an opinion and a certain point of view, but considering the challenge outline I would have picked these as the winners( I have not counted myself in, that's for others to judge):
-1- Chirone
-2- CG Wolfgang
-3- Murambi
Since these are attempts at a redesign of an existing character, and not a recreation of one
They are certainly not the best renders, character designs or presentations, but that wasn't " the assignment".

I hope that in future challenges, the challenge outline will be followed some more, again I know it's point of view /taste related and that you guys wanted to award the best work, on which I agree is Rocky Mills' work, it's just not a redesign, which was the main challenge outline

# 9 02-05-2011 , 09:29 PM
EduSciVis-er
Mastone: First off, thanks for all the good comments on everyone's work. It's great when people take the time to go through all the entries and give helpful feedback.

That being said, I'd like to respectfully disagree with what you deem a lack of redesign. I think this is a pretty subjective criteria, and each person interpreted it to a different degree I think. Ultimately it is up to the judges to say whether the criteria were met or not.

Chirone did a great job incorporating transformers and pokemon elements, and I personally think you can't get much closer to "organic to mechanical" which was pretty much listed as an option in the original criteria. Tweetytunes was pretty clear on how he was re-interpreting his character (new costume, attitude etc.) Whether that's "enough" of a re-interpretation is again up to the judges. Rockymills was also clear on how the characters were modified (new clothes, weapons etc.)... again "enough"?? I think so... and obviously the judges did too. Great job.

As for me, well you have a fair point that I didn't post a picture (I missed that in the rules) but I assumed people would be familiar with Gordon Freeman. That was probably a poor assumption, and so I'll add a couple pictures to my thread so people know what I was going for. And if that's not enough of a redesign of a human character, well I don't know what is user added image.

All that to say, I guess it's up to opinion, but we have to go with the judging, and I think RockyMills had a well deserved win.

# 10 02-05-2011 , 09:31 PM
The thin red line
A little unfare mastone, the word I would look at is "look" that can mean a number of things like clothing............dave

# 11 02-05-2011 , 09:58 PM
Super Moderator
Correction, grats to Rocky, Neil and Stwert. user added image

Bad reading on my part Stwert, didn't catch that the first time.

- Genny
# 12 02-05-2011 , 10:31 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
@stwert:
No I didn't know who Gordon Freeman is/was, I agree about it being a subjective thing/taste related which I mentioned several times, and I think Chirone did a terrific job.

@Daverave:
I don't think I am unfair, I haven't talked down anyones work ( at least tried not to) and about This:"... a new take or look of a game character ...", I think you have to see it like this take/look and in my opinion look in this context means revamp of a game character not simply putting on a different dress, but again this is just my opinion.

# 13 03-05-2011 , 01:21 AM
Lifetime Member
WELL DONE Rocky...for me it was a close between the 3 winners...I thought stwert may have pipped it but I must admit Rocky's was piss funny entry...and a good one...you all did really well and its good to see that there were quite a few entries...that is the main thing, taking part and in all having some fun.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 14 03-05-2011 , 01:26 AM
Subscriber
congrats to you all Rocky, neil, and stwert!

i kind of figured rocky would be the winner, it's just so beautiful and full of awesome! well.. it was him or neil or stwert in my eyes! but rocky had the coolest/most completed presentation out of all of us.

thanks for your comments mastone! i made soo many time costing mistakes in that challenge.

would be nice to know what jay and david thought of it

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 15 03-05-2011 , 02:19 AM
SM Tea Boy

Congrats on the full set. Gold, Silver and Bronze first time its happened.

Dave user added image

--EDIT--

Well second time but still looks pretty cool user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"